• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA just slipped a few notches in my book..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

I spoke with someone at EVGA about 2 weeks ago, explaining my situation which is this: I have an 8800GT with step-up expiring around March 6th. I wanted to know if they would let me step up to the GX2, even though it was to be released a few days after my window expired, or if I should just step up to a GTS-512 now. The rep told me in no uncertain words that I should definitely wait and they would take care of me.

With news of the 9800GX2 delay, I called EVGA to make sure this still held true, and I was told that the 9800GX2 might not even be on step up because it's a high end card. I responded that the Ultra and GTX were on step up for ages and that shouldn't make a difference. He told me they removed the Ultra, I was thinking "uhh, yeah, it's discontinued" but kept my mouth shut. He said I should just step up to a 9600GT (yeah right) or 8800GTS.

I'm getting a 9800GX2 either way, whether through step-up or by selling my 8800GT and buying a new one. If that's the route I end up having to take, it's not going to be an EVGA card.

Oh well.

<---same boat but they sliped even furth with some aditional bs. I wont be buying any EVGA products anymore because the support i have been reciveing is pretty much non existant. "still wateing for a e mail to be returned from 2 weeks ago" i'll be buying XFX now.

evga steup up is a joke
they always win
especially if you got a good deal on a gt for like 225 then you gotta pay them 75 more for a card than you could get at an e-tailer and deal with their terms....

do yourselves a favor
post your used cards for sale and give someone a deal, then just buy the new card outright, do the math your wallet will actually end up better off most times and you helped a OCF'er out to boot.

One question.......Why are people upset that a company is willing to "buy back" their used "garbage" and offer a discount on brand new merchandise? I mean are you guys actually listening to what you're saying? I'm sorry, but in all sense of reason that i've come to know, you guys sound ridiculous, no offense. If that is what is contained in the emails you say aren't being answered, then I don't blame them.

I hear too much of this at my job. Everyone wants everything and nobody wants to pay for it. Sorry but it doesn't work that way. I don't mean to offend anyone but seriously.....Get real.

lol its not used garbage since it has to be within the first 90 days and they resell it anyway they make money hand over fist and they charge more for the new card anyway. you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

get your facts straight.

You are still crying about your used product not not being even up exchanged for a newer probably better(or you wouldn't care) item. By garbage i mean that you are so willing to cast it off for the next upgrade no matter how slight then complain that because you didn't wait you now have to actually pay for the better part......god forbid. Lest we forget about the fact that the card that they gave you for oh say $75 has an originally higher markup than what you are giving them for it. What do you really have to complain about?

I have all the facts that are relevant, thank you.

P.S. I agree with you, for the record, if you don't like EVGA doing more for you than any other company, then go elsewhere and sell your used part to a fellow OCF member.

"still wateing for a e mail to be returned from 2 weeks ago" i'll be buying XFX now.
CALL THEM. They can't avoid you if you call. I work tech support, you WILL get an answer faster if you call.

One question.......Why are people upset that a company is willing to "buy back" their used "garbage" and offer a discount on brand new merchandise? I mean are you guys actually listening to what you're saying? I'm sorry, but in all sense of reason that i've come to know, you guys sound ridiculous, no offense. If that is what is contained in the emails you say aren't being answered, then I don't blame them.

I hear too much of this at my job. Everyone wants everything and nobody wants to pay for it. Sorry but it doesn't work that way. I don't mean to offend anyone but seriously.....Get real.
I will have to agree with you on this. I am amazed they even offer the step-up program.

i did call um lmfao. I got the please hold. then beep beep beep beep fallowed by the realaztion that i was hung up on.

Between EVGA and XFX, I chose EVGA because of step up, and because the 9800GX2 was expected in early February at the time I bought my card. I paid $290 plus shipping from Newegg. It'll cost me another $310 at least to go to the GX2. I figure I'd be lucky to get $225 shipped for the current card, so if step up will work, I'd save something like $85 versus selling/buying new.

If they had just said 'sorry, step up expires and that's that' the first time I called, I could have accepted that. I knew I was taking a risk on the GX2 coming out within 90 days. It's the conflicting stories that have gotten to me, along with the fact that the guy today suggested I step 'up' to a 9600GT.

Oldskool, I'm quite willing to 'pay for it', but from what I was told today, they might not even be available to buy, even though EVGA markets the step up program as a way to 'buy now, buy more later'..

I might even head towards a 3870x2 at this rate..

I am admittedly a bit frustrated myself with the lack of production numbers with new products. I figure if you are going to offer your product to the new parts market and as an upgrade for existing customers, somewhere along the way they are going to have to figure out that they need to up production on these parts.

I was thinking about the 3870 as well but I really have no interest in ATI. I do hear that its a great card though, maybe i'm missing out, lol.

If EVGA doesn't take care of me, I'm going with XFX. The increased resale from the double warranty is too good to pass up, since I'm not going to be using step up from the GX2..

Does BFG bin the cards?

BFG doesn't have any set up plan I don't believe.
Does XFX?

I'm glad I bought my card when I did and not waited for this suck 9800 to come out

I think EVGA the only ones who have step up. That's the reason I went with them, at the time, the 9800GX2 was expected in February..

evga steup up is a joke
they always win
especially if you got a good deal on a gt for like 225 then you gotta pay them 75 more for a card than you could get at an e-tailer and deal with their terms....

do yourselves a favor
post your used cards for sale and give someone a deal, then just buy the new card outright, do the math your wallet will actually end up better off most times and you helped a OCF'er out to boot.

I agree. Stepup is a cool program for them to offer but it shouldn't be a primary deciding factor in a purchase. The difference between selling used and the higher price paid directly through eVGA is usually a wash. The only catch there is not paying a shortage or brand-new product price or you will lose more when you resell it used. The 8800GT for near $300 is an example of paying a high price paid for a hot brand-new and short-stock item.

All the companies use the same reference cards for a while after they come out.

eVGA is a good company, call and explain. Do it more times if it matters to you.

evga steup up is a joke
they always win

do yourselves a favor

I agree with Rattle 100% on this, EVGA's step-up program costs more money then selling locally here. IMHO I always try to buy XFX video cards, because of the double lifetime warranty. Out of all the nVidia manufactures that is the most valuable feature that any of them offer!

IMO, step-up is more of a safety net. Or an insurance program. I bought my 8800GTS 320 the day before the 8800GT news popped up on expreview... But with step-up I was able to get the 8800GT for only the price of shipping. EVGA is #1 in my book. I went without a card for only 1 week.

I like the double lifetime from XFX and i think its more valuable than anythign else. Problem is i have always had bad luck with XFX cards they are almost always poop clockers for me.

I know a lot of people like EVGA and their step up program (it's pretty nice in theory), but I have yet to get a card made by them that didn't have faulty memory. I have had a 6600GT, a 6800GT, and a 7900GT and all three had bad memory chips. After going through that I decided to look at other manufacturers - even if the chances of getting 3 bad cards in a "row" is incredibly small, it was enough to turn me off of their products.

Back