• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop question: ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phenolite

wondering if you guys could give me some info regarding memory for laptops: brand, type, how to intsall...it's a toshiba sattelite, thanx, guys!

Well im assuming you would have an open slot (RAM slots are usually on the bottom of the laptop, covered by a slide plate or something), and you would buy 1 module of XXXmb of SODIMM RAM. Newegg sells Kingmax SODIMM ram in PC100 and PC133. In 64mb and 256mb for the PC133, and 512mb of PC100.

You'll see that installing the ram is as easy as a desktop once you see...

Hope this helps...

Hey wally :-D The Sodimms rely upon them just "staying in place" held in by the cover- they get stuck in there pretty well-
Spyder

on the one laptop i ever worked on, you just took off a plastic cover and there was a RAM slot hiding there. The RAM was pretty much held in only by the cover, but didn't seem likely to go anywhere.

But it's different for every laptop, I imagine. Try www.crucial.com for RAM, they are cheap and have a nifty system selector to make sure you get the right stuff.

Actually, my dad's looking to upgrade the RAM in a laptop he just got, and instead of starting a new thread, I decided to set an example, and use the search feature.

So, do they just slide out like DIMMs or do they pop up like old SIMMs? Basically, they sit in the socket flush with the board, and I'm wondering if I side them out to the side, or pop them up towards me (assuming the laptop is laying flat) and pull them out?

*EDIT*One other thing: I went to Crucial, and found this about the memory. I already knew that the laptop only runs at 66MHz RAM. It's already got two 64MB SODIMMs, but he wants to upgrade to 256MB of RAM. And the Crucial site shows that the max for the laptop is 256MB (I wasn't able to find that from Compaq). Anyhoo, Crucial only shows 64MB 66MHz SODIMMs. Which we already have. Now, as far as DIMMs, I know they're backwards compatible, for the most part. Is the same true for SODIMMs? Can I stick two 128MB PC100 SODIMMs in there, and will there be a confilct? I'd hate to have my dad spend $100 on memory (two 128MB Crucial SODIMMs at Best Buy) and not have it work. They're already leery about computer upgrades, so I have to be gentle with them.

Last edited:
Installing laptop memory is a piece of cake. :)

The memory sticks kinda pop up and out. As far as putting the two 128's in there, it shouldn't be a problem. That's what I have in my laptop right now. I would double check either the documentation that came with the laptop or look on the manufacturer's website first though.

pcgirl said:
Installing laptop memory is a piece of cake. :)

The memory sticks kinda pop up and out. As far as putting the two 128's in there, it shouldn't be a problem. That's what I have in my laptop right now. I would double check either the documentation that came with the laptop or look on the manufacturer's website first though.

Both are a wash. No documentation (it's a used laptop, bought second hand) and the website seems to be useless. But I'll just assume that SODIMM is backwards compatible, just like normal DIMMs.

And thanks for the tutorial about pulling SODIMMS. I wasn't sure if it pulled up or just out. I'll give that a try this weekend when I'm at my parent's again.

Back