• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SS 24/7 board insulation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sHape oF gReY

Ok so, I'll be moving to SS cooling soon and decided to prep my board, figured if I start insulating it now, I'll have plenty of time to double check everything before I mount the SS.

Anyway, here is what I was thinking, let me know if something isn't covered that should be, or if something is covered and shouldn't be. Basically anything constructive goes. Also any idea/suggestions for applying dielectric grease would be great, maybe something someone learned when doing their system.

Step 1: Coverer the red shaded area with dielectric grease (that includes INSIDE the socket but not over the top part of the CPU).
coatshaded.jpg

Step 2: Cut out a casket out of a 1/4" thick piece of neoprene, to go around the socket and the caps around it.
1stgasket.jpg

Step 3: Cut out a second gasket out of 1/4" neoprene to go over the 1st layer and cover the top of the caps and other components around the socket.
2ndgasket.jpg

Miss anything?

Also, I have heard of some removing the retention bracket on the socket, is this advisable?

~cheers

For LN2 or dice I personally never use dielectric grease, but I know that many people do.

I would personally put a layer of clear nail polish in place of the dielectric grease around the socket in the red area, as well as the same area on the back of the mobo. OBVIOUSLY DO NOT PUT THE CLEAR NAIL POLISH IN THE SOCKET!! :D

Just my personal opinion, but I would cut out the 1st layer of neoprene a little bit better to fit around your caps and other surface components like this.

P1250818.jpg

After I put down the clear nail polish, and then the next insulation later (in my case grey foam insulation but neoprene is good as well) I personally use a paper towel cutout just like your 2nd neoprene later, then after that an armaflex cutout just like your neoprene (neoprene is great as well as I said), then your cooling mount.

I cant see how SS would be much different than other extreme cooling, but I have never used SS, but a fair amt of dice/ln2.

Good luck! Im sure you will get other opinions as well....

PS - No need to remove the mounting bracket around the socket, and a 1/4 inch piece of neoprene on the backside to prevent any frosting on the backside components is a good idea. 1/2 inch I think would be too thick, but it really all depends on your screw length and how tight you are going to mount.

Ok I made a new gasket out of 1/2" neoprene, this is the best fit I can get on it, the caps are too close together to cover individually and I also used 1/6" to cover the top of the caps.

Look decent? I was thinking dielectric grease -- > neoprene --->dielectric grease and the top gasket should do it.

Here is the new 1st gasket (there is a tear in lower right by the caps but it should still seal ok I think:
newgasket.jpg

Here is the gasket with the caps covered:
newgasket2.jpg

Would that do the trick in theory?

That is what mine looks like on my P5K. I need to add an extra layer as last time it was a little loose between the tube and this layer:

73f05139.jpg

Back