• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stratus' new loop (with some ghetto mods and a lot of pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
So my RMA finally got here today so I started my build. I couldnt accurately place the parts without the motherboard in place so everything had to wait.

Anyways on with the show.

here is the lot of parts that I will be dealing with today

DSC00233.jpg

As you can see I didn't even open my new Armor case yet.
The parts are as follows...

The standard 1/2" loop parts

MCP 655
MCR320
EK Eddy 8800GTS block
EK Supreme
Clearflex tubing
HR-05

P35-DS3L
X3210
2X1 gig OCZ DDR2 800
500 gig Seagate SATA2 32 meg cache
PNY 8800GTS
Corsair VX5500

The following pictures are for anyone who would like some pictures of the Armor. I had hard time digging up decent pictures in order to get an accurate idea of what it was like for space so I thought I would do that incase others wondered the same thing

DSC00240.jpg
DSC00242.jpg

This is the case comparison with an Antec Soho case side by side. As you can see there is a decent amount of new space
DSC00243.jpg

From the front

DSC00244.jpg

So this build was FULL of problems from the beginning. I had issues with taking the stock cooler off my 8800GTS as well as not knowing exactly how the 5.25" mounted. I have this dual bay res that I got in a lot sale.

Unfortunately it doesnt fit in the drive bays so I had to come up with other options. I could either mount it on the bottom of the case or on the top.

I opted for a top mount which required a *really* ghetto mod

Here was my first thought. Thick cardboard

DSC00245.jpg
DSC00246.jpg

But then I decided that cardboard alone probably isnt the best idea. I had visions of a tiny leak soaking the cardboard and the res smashing all the parts below.

So instead I went and found some scraps of metal... I am no machinest so I have no idea if it was tin or aluminum... thinking tin but *shrugs* what the hell I thought I would give it a go:beer:

DSC00247.jpg

Last edited:
it also involved some screws and drilling a hole in my brand new case :(

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00249.jpg
DSC00250.jpg
DSC00251.jpg

I made a "lip" at the back so in case it slid backwards it would have something stopping it.

Well from here I needed to get my parts in position to set up the loop

Here is the GFX after fighting with the stock cooler for a good 40 minutes
DSC00254.jpg

and the CPU
DSC00257.jpg

and of coarse the lap job

DSC00260.jpg

I found the Xeon to have considerably less nickle on it then my pentium d... i was to the copper in no time flat

Well now I have put the main parts in the case and here is the pre-bleed picture
DSC00261.jpg

Update: here is what it looks like after a 14hr leak test/bleed

DSC00266.jpg

Last edited:
DSC00264.jpg
DSC00269.jpg

IDLE Temps W/3 rad fans, 1 X 120 exhaust, 1X 250 side:
Core 0: 26C
Core 1: 26C
Core 2: 28C
Core 3: 26C

GPU Idles at 36C

UPDATE: After 2 hrs 30 mins of dual Orthos load temps are. 8*391mhz, 1.44v
50C
45C
46C
45C

Last edited:
Looking very good! Glad to see the EK Eddy block is getting a good home :santa: !

I should mention that i reinforced the metal with 2 pieces of that really strong cardboard. It is supporting the metal on the bottom

Leak test is going well... no leaks in 12 hours but the bleed is still going. The pump is noisy as usual until all the bubbles are gone... oh well

Last edited:
Looks good, nice simple setup. Great idea on the Res placement. Quick Question, where did you put your HDDs? Did you use the upper rear cage?

I only have teh 1 hdd in this one my other desktop is the server.

The armor has a slot for 1 HDD in the slot where the Power Button is. So thats where I tucked the hdd away :)

Bench marks to follow shortly

Here are some benches

I didnt take screen shots but stock ran Super_Pi 1M in 23s
at 3.2 1M at 16s

A stock 3dmark06 run
stockquadcore.jpg

CPU bumped up to 2.93 with no video oc
293quadnovideoOC.jpg

And the best run using riva tuner.
304-663-1051-1535.jpg

Last edited:
Back