• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Files won't stop being read only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I have a folder full of data that I want to be able to be modified, mostly just music and stuff. For some reason the entire folder is read only.

If I go and try and change the files to not be read only (by right clicking and unclicking the read only property box thingy) than it goes through all the motions, asking me if I want to do it for only that folder or all the sub folders, bring up the vista administrator thing, having the progress bar telling me that it is changing file properties and everything....but nothing happens. The files remain read only files.

Currently using vista buisness 64bit

Anyone have any ideas on how to make my files not read only?

I am having the same problem. It started after I did a system restore.

I searched online and first found people saying to go into manager(under admin tools in control panal) under services change Protected storage to manual.

I tried it and it didn't work.

Tried microsofts fix
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;326549

didn't work.

Tried going into safe mode and changing permissions. it didn't work.
Tried changing ownership and that didn't work.

It effected all four of my hard drive in every folder.

The really strange thing is even after rebooting into another verson of windows I still cant change it.

I tried taking ownership and that didnt work for me.
Its only one folder for me, I am fixing it by moving each file to a new replica folder and that seems to be working.

Back