• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

entering water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HanComp

Registered
ive gone from stock air, to aftermarket air, to high powered air, to pre-built water kit. now its time to take the next (baby) step and make my first full bore water cooling set-up.

yes ive read and am reading the stickies. trying to glean all the information i can from all over the internet, and that includes the helpful people here.

first question is where should i be looking at stuff, so far im on to danger den and frozen cpu to start to get ideas.

* List why you want to watercool. more power, safer temps to get that next mhz
* List your budget. not quite sure, $500 should be sufficient if I had to pick a number
* List what tools you have or have access and how profficient you are with them. i live and work on a farm, dremel? i have a full chest of air tools! tools/handiness not a problem. water cooling know how might be.
* List what kind of encloser (case) you have. And whether you are willing to cut it up. coolerMaster cosmos. moderate modifications are fine by me. id rather keep away from frankencase though.
* List what computer parts you have:

CPU: Intel Xe3110 (e8400)
GPU: 2x EVGA 8800GTS SC in SLi
MAIN: EVGA 780i
PSU: PCP&C 750
RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2 800 (if this gets in my way down the road its gone)
ETC: soundblaster card, so i need to keep a PCI slot open, which should be easy with water

I want top of the line gear. Im going to do my homework and get stuff that will get the job done. The only thing i know at this point is i wasnt a full coverage block for the GPUs. Im not a big fan of glue on heatsinks for the ram there, so if it can be avoided all the better.

So far i like the looks of the Swiftech Stealth VGA block for the 8800s. (edit, these may not be the best for SLi?, if so the DD or the EK may be a better choice)

I also like the Apogee GT/GTX cpu block. But then what do I know.

Its hard to gauge things by reviews, cause what works for one person doesnt work for the next. So if youve got any ideas on what gear works well and any tips on how to not kill everything, I would be much obliged.

Last edited:
HanComp,
:welcome: to the forums

Nice PSU ( I've got the same, its a beast and a half ), as for the blocks and other loop equipment, let me humbly suggest the following:

Radiator: PA 120.3 ( Thermochill )
Pump: Laing D5 ( MCP 655 )
Tubing: Tygon is WAY better than the home depot stuff, I mean, holy crap, its not even a contest
Rez/T-Line: Personal taste, I went with the swiftech MicroRes, but there are other reservoirs to be had out there if you so desire
CPU Block: Apogee is a good choice, another good one is the D-Tek Fusion
VGA Block: No clue here, I went with the MCW-60, although I would have rather gotten a full coverage block, I hate these ramsinks. EK makes really nice looking VGA blocks....
I'm not sure if EK has made a set of SLi blocks for the 8800 series yet, but I would send them an email, along with Danger Den and see if they can let you know. Ask them questions, they are usually nice guys there, considering how much of a niche market they serve, they should be helpful.
Hope that helps,
Drew

Last edited:
Thanks, and thanks.

I always used to use FSP, but now it seems like PCP&C are the "intel core 2"'s of the PSU market.

I should have mentioned that Id prefer a GPU block that is as full coverage as possible, not just the core. I was just looking at EK's site in fact, looks like some nice stuff.

HanComp,
:welcome: to the forums

Nice PSU ( I've got the same, its a beast and a half ), as for the blocks and other loop equipment, let me humbly suggest the following:

Radiator: PA 120.3 ( Thermochill )
Pump: Laing D5 ( MCP 655 )
Tubing: Tygon is WAY better than the home depot stuff, I mean, holy crap, its not even a contest
Rez/T-Line: Personal taste, I went with the swiftech MicroRes, but there are other reservoirs to be had out there if you so desire
CPU Block: Apogee is a good choice, another good one is the D-Tek Fusion
VGA Block: No clue here, I went with the MCW-60, although I would have rather gotten a full coverage block, I hate these ramsinks. EK makes really nice looking VGA blocks....
I'm not sure if EK has made a set of SLi blocks for the 8800 series yet, but I would send them an email, along with Danger Den and see if they can let you know. Ask them questions, they are usually nice guys there, considering how much of a niche market they serve, they should be helpful.
Hope that helps,
Drew

I would echo the recommendations above. If you want the best and don't mind spending the cash for it, the Thermochill PA120.3 is the king of the hill. The Swiftech MCR rads at just over 1/3 of the cost of the Thermochill however offer probably 85-90% of the performance, so that is up to you. I just bought two MCR320 rads for $100 delivered to my door from Sidewindercomputers.

On the pumps, the D5/MCP655 is a good, solid pump. If however you want a smaller and quieter pump with about the same output, look at a DDC3.2/MCP355 or its quieter cousin, the DDC3.1/MCP350 with an aftermarket top like the XSPC (frozen CPU).

EK makes some nice full cover stuff. I have never seen one complaint yet about the quality of their parts.

The Apogee GTX is a good block, but with the anodized alu top, I personally would recommend the Dtek Fuzion with nozzle kit over it.

Tygon R3603, or its black version, R3400, or even Tygon Silver are all good choices depending on what you want.

For additives, just use distilled water with some algaecide. You don't need to spend money on all of the premix fluids as they really don't offer any advantages long term.

The Swiftech Microres is a good res if you decide to go the res route. EK makes some nice tube reservoirs also. Those are the only ones that I would recommend.

Good places to look for watercooling gear that I personally have ordered from and have had no complaints with are Petrastechshop (unbelievably good customer service and #1 on my list), Jab-tech, crazyPC, sidewindercomputers, svc, frozencpu (some of their stuff isn't go great- i.e Koolance- and is kind of pricey, but they currently have the best deal on the XSPC DDC top, and they carry Bitspower fittings which are excellent), performance-pcs (kinda high priced also on some things, but they have stuff no one else has-also carry Bitspower fittings which I highly recommend).

Last edited:
Radiator: PA 120.3
Pump: MCP655
CPU: Dtek FuZion
GPU: EK 8800 series (x2)
Tubing: Tygon
Res: swiftech microres

looking like a complete list? need to make sure the EK gpu blocks are SLi compatible, kinda says they are in the description, but not sure.

Make sure you budget for fans, clamps, fittings, TIM (thermal paste), biocide, and possibly a fan controller.

The DD blocks like the EK's are SLI with the shorter fittings. DD has better flow rates (good) than the EK, but we have seen no head to head cooling tests yet between them. When I got my DD IONE I opted for an extra fitting (short) so I can SLI down the road.

depending on the GTS model I would recommend the EK Eddy block. I have it and its specifically made for SLI with outlets (or inlets ;) ) on the top and bottom of the block making it really to do SLI. Good block, keeps my GTS at around 36 idle, i'm not sure about load however from the graph I would guess ~41

Getting ready to order. one problem im finding; everyone is out of stock of the d-tek fuzion. must be a good block if no one has it.

one more question ive run into, is the D-Tek FuZion Accelerator Nozzle Kit worth the 7 bucks? seems to me that whatever good it does could be lost because it could restrict flow a little more.

without the nozzle kit the EK Supreme inches out the fuzion.
if you go with the fuzion get the nozzle kit as it puts the fuzion back on top

I heard they are getting d-teks back in stock Thursday this week. But remember, EK is better if your just doing CPU, but it does have low flow. If your cooling more then cpu, d-tek for sure, its very high flowing and the nozzle kit is defiantly worth it!

ordered my stuff. tech9, thanks for the heads up, got the block today when it came back in stock.

pretty much what i though about getting. picked up what i hope is all the accessories ill need too. going to try it with the yate loons i already have first, if i need more airflow ill have to upgrade.

ordered my stuff. tech9, thanks for the heads up, got the block today when it came back in stock.

pretty much what i though about getting. picked up what i hope is all the accessories ill need too. going to try it with the yate loons i already have first, if i need more airflow ill have to upgrade.

dont say we diddnt warn you about the hoseclamps.
enjoy.

if you go with the fuzion get the nozzle kit as it puts the fuzion back on top

Do you have any proof of that? Links?
I have only seen the stock EK Supreme beat the stock Fuzion by 3°C over at overclock3d but have not seen any tests including results with the Fuzion nozzles or the new EK Supreme plate.

Last edited:
dont say we diddnt warn you about the hoseclamps.
enjoy.

im not sure i follow, warn me about what? i was planning on using normal screw type clamps i have in the shop or buy from the local hardware store if i need more that fit. is there something more i need to know? you warned me, but with no details so i dont know what you are trying to warn me of im afraid.

Hose clamp warning: Use them. They are the best to use, that's the focus. If you really want the best WC setup, here is what I got for my CPU/NB/GPU. Best hose, clamps, great res, best cooling blocks out there. You'll have to add another $109 or so for another full coverage GPU block. But you should worry that just one PA 120.3 for the CPU/GPUx2 might not be enough with high overclocks and high room temps. You can try it, but you might have to get a 120x2 for the CPU and the 120.3 for the GPU's. Thats two loops, that's a LOT more money.

Water cooling parts (NO FANS)
Rad: PA 120.3 $135 JAB
Rad fittings: EK High Flow (G3/8 thread, ½” OD) $6 Pet
Rad Shroud: PA 120.3 shroud $19 JAB
Pump: Laing D5 MCP655 vario DD ver. $83 Pet
Res: EK-Multioption RES 100 rev.2 $34 JAB
EK Anti Cyclone: $2.50 JAB
Tubing: Tygon Silver 1/2x3/4 15’ $56 USP
T fitting for drain: Delrin T $8 Pet
Drain port: Delrin Fillport $12 JAB
Clamps: Stainless worm drive w/liner (15) $19 Pet
Biocide: PT-Nuke $3 Pet
Blocks:
DTek FuZion CPU $62 Pet
D-Tek FuZion Accelerator Nozzle Kit $7 Pet
Dtek FuZion Intel 775 Pro-Mount set $12 Jab
IONE for NVIDIA G92 GT and GTS $116 DD
NB block: Swiftech MCW30 Chipset block $28 Jab

Store code:
DD is Danger Den
Pet is Petras
Jab is Jab-Tech

The Fuzion Nozzle kit has ONE really important part. Thats the washer they should include with the basic block. It seals part of the internals creating better flow inside the block. The nozzles do help with hot chips, especially quads by increasing the impingment on the pins, better heat transfer inside the block. It does reduce the flow rate, so you have to be careful. Seen this tool?

Martins flow rate esimator.
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/

Hose clamp warning: Use them. They are the best to use, that's the focus.

amen!
i havnt seen many here find out the hard way as i have. ive made the mistake bigger and more spectacular than anyone ive seen.

i ran about 15-20 PSI with a 7 foot head and 5 whole gallons and 4 pumps.
most run about the flow of a fishtank with the capacity of a big gulp.

i used many hoseclamps anyway. it still wasnt enough to keep the ocean outside of the boat.

(i basically had a high pressure setup and broke loose a bunch of chunks and clogged it, then my eyeball got powerwashed (broke the weakest links - plural) with silt and half my living room was moist, and so was i)

worm clamps.
dont go for the fancy 316 stainless because its softer metal and thats marine grade - for salty places and is miserable its so soft. strips too easy.

Back