• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaning towards heatercore.... anyone want to give a nudge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Propaganda

Everything is based around the fans. (noise)

Setup up:

High-end CPU (overclocked)
High-end GPU (overclocked)
D5 pump
7 feet 1/2 ID tubing
T-line
Two elbows
Two mid CFM/DBA 120mm 25mm thick fans (undecided) (specs not open for change)
GPU/CPU block undecided

My first choice for a radiator is a PA160... but I don't have the room.

As of right now I am thinking about using a heatercore. 6" x 6" active size.

I will be using custom shrouds which place the fans about 1" away from the fins. The fans will be in a push/pull config.

I am looking for the best performance using low CFM/DBA fans. Cost, looks, or modding are not a factor. Is the heatercore the way to go with this?

*edit* BTW I don't have the space for anything larger than the stated heatercore

A 6x6 heatercore is not going to cool an overclocked GPU and CPU with low cfm fans. Heatercores are thick and need higher airflow. You need to get an MCR320, or if you really want to spend the premium for the best of the best, a PA120.3. There is no such thing as "I don't have room." When it comes to watercooling, you make room. You can always externally top mount if nothing else.

In this case there is "there is not enough room".

But alas, with a few designed sacrifices we can use 38mm thick fans. Fortunately there are a few high CFM with decent dBa levels which all seem to scale well with a PWM controller.

Other projects we intend to use PA120.2/PA120.3 for this one we just can't do it.

*when I say 'we' I mean 'I'

Last edited:
Is the heater core cheaper than a thermochill PA?

A '77 bonneyville is about $20 at autozone, whereas the thermochills start at $100.

"There is no room" is not the way to go with watercooling. THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM. It might just take a bit of creativity and even may require mounting the rad on top, on back, or on bottom.

Use a small heatercore if you will, but you may not like the results. Surface area is so important when it comes to cooling. Get an MCR320, top mount it, and slap some yate loons on it and you have a quiet, cool setup.

Back