• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tips for figuring out my limits?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madz

Registered
First off im new to overclocking (ya ya i have been researching on google and reading around :D ) and I wanted to get some more experienced input on the matter. I just built a new system and I got everything with overclocking in mind. I want to know what is really the best hardware to get for cooling that will maximize my system while at the same time not really limiting my everyday use. Gimme some good tips (aside from search google :) ) and i know im a newb so dont flame me too hard.

Hardware specs:
MOBO: XFX 780i tri SLI
CPU: Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 1200
GPU: SLi G92 GeForce 8800 GTS 512

optional hardware
750W HEC PSU
500GB SATA2 Seagate HDD

PS: im not looking to break records or anything I just want to maximize performance to the best i can while still being very stable.

Last edited:
Well it really all depends on your budget . We can Suggest very good Air Water and better cooling when we know how much we have to spend :)

For 500 you can have a nice water or Air setup and prob a used Single stage system for that price as well

it doesnt matter to me what i go with i just want to be able to overclock the system as much as i can while still keeping stability. this is kind of a learning experience for me lol

Well a water setup is somewhat complicated for a first timer, I mean you can do it, but I just stuck with air when I first got into OC'ing.

Might try water in my next rig.

Good air cooling is almost as good as water cooling, if you need a comparison.

When you get 100 posts you could hit up NoL, he does phase systems for around 450$

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=369095

It's where they use liquid nitrogen to cool the CPU I think, they can get into the -100C region =D

Sorry but not quite.

That is called Liquid Nitrogen cooling. It is only used for benchmarks

Phase commonly refers to the use of refrigeration equipment (as found in your fridge, freezer or air conditioner) to cool the CPU. It can be used for a 24/7 setup and for this reason is about the best cooling money can buy for a daily rig...

niiice i want it lol. $450 isnt too bad.

EDIT: I just looked at some of these. They seem like they are geared specifically for CPU's can they work on graphics cards and ram?

Last edited:
You could have a second one on your GFX card most ppl just put a water block on it =) . Ram a normal fan works just fine for cooling .

don't even bother with phase it is completely out of your range (going strictly by your responses in this thread) i would stick to water or air. i would say go with water and it will give you room to grow depending on what you first buy.

phase is for benchmarking only as well. (you can use it but your will kill your processor with the over clock you can get with it over time) it will be somewhat noisy, but mainly its gonna suck down electricity. you will also have to insulate your motherboard and cover it with foam and silicone and all kinds of crap.

don't even bother with phase it is completely out of your range (going strictly by your responses in this thread) i would stick to water or air. i would say go with water and it will give you room to grow depending on what you first buy.

phase is for benchmarking only as well. (you can use it but your will kill your processor with the over clock you can get with it over time) it will be somewhat noisy, but mainly its gonna suck down electricity. you will also have to insulate your motherboard and cover it with foam and silicone and all kinds of crap.

You only kill the CPU with heat or voltage. With phase heat is not an issue and you decide on the voltage. So if you have the same voltage as a water setup the phase would last longer actually. The only reason phase CPU's generally fail faster is you push them much much harder. But yeah you have a lot of work to do like insulate and tune etc etc...

To the OP: I agree with spawn - stay far away from phase, for now :D

While it might not be him to say that Phase is only for benching is very wrong . I know many ppl that run it 24/7 and I will as soon as I have one .

ya i looked at some of the phase kits and they seem a little more then what i want to do. liquid cooling is the way to go i think. hmmmm ill have to look around this site more to figure out everything i need since i plan to OC the gpu's, cpu and ram

ya i looked at some of the phase kits and they seem a little more then what i want to do. liquid cooling is the way to go i think. hmmmm ill have to look around this site more to figure out everything i need since i plan to OC the gpu's, cpu and ram

Look at all the threads in the watercooling section. You will be able to follow trends in the components people use.

Watercooling the RAM has no effect other than to be more restrictive on the loop. If you want, get a nice cooler like the corsair one (which I own and am very happy with!) or heatspreaders or go all out and get thermalright coolers.

Ideal setup is a loop for the CPU and GPU, or each with their own loop if you have the money. Watercooling the Northbridge is debatable. Most people agree that a good thermalright air cooler works great.

Also, do not watercool the hard drives or MOSFETS (power regulators on the motherboard). If need be use heatsinks and fans.

Most of your time with a watercooling setup will be spent figuring out how to mount the radiators and pumps. Obviously the more/larger radiators the better.

While it might not be him to say that Phase is only for benching is very wrong . I know many ppl that run it 24/7 and I will as soon as I have one .

that goes for me too! That is kind of the point of phase....

LN and triple cascade and dry ice are all only for benching

oh, i thought no matter how cool you can keep your chip the more voltage you pump into it kills it regardless.

Back