• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first wcooling setup (56k warning!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam__

This is my first delve into the depths of watercooling. All opinions and suggestions are very welcome.

First off, the parts:

Pump - Eheim 1048
CPU Block - Swiftech Storm
Nb Block - Swiftech MCW30
Radiator - Black Ice GTS-Lite 360
Fans - 3 x 120mm Thermaltake 80CFM
Tubing - Generic 1/2" tubing

Prepping the board.
3.jpg

The loop.
4.jpg

Half on.
5.jpg

Fully on.
6.jpg

Ready to go.
7.jpg

I had to take some anti kinking precautions using zip ties. It seems to have worked.

With my old air heatsink I was getting ~70C load temps with an OC on my E6300 of 3.15Ghz @1.375v, pretty high I know.

With this setup I was kinda disappointed that load temps only went down to ~62C.
I was expecting a lot better.
Both temps were taken with an ambient of about 21C.

So I decided to lap the cpu.

After about 5 minutes of 220grit.(I think there's a bit of a dip in the middle)
8.jpg

After getting all the nickel off with 220.
9.jpg

After 600 grit.
10.jpg

After 1000 grip.
11.jpg

Back where it belongs.
12.jpg

Up and running again.
13.jpg

After the lapping I got 2C less than before with loads of ~60. Im still not overly impressed.

I have ordered some AS5 which should be with me sometime this week. I'll see if that makes much difference from the generic stuff I’m using atm.

There are still a few bubbles in the loop which need to come out but it’s really hard with a t-line. I have a micro res on the way which will help.

A few Qs:
1. Will the AS5 make much difference?
2. Will a completely bubble free loop make much difference?
3. Are these temps what I should have expected with these components, I know the storm isn’t the best block for C2Ds but is it this bad?
4. Any general tips or tricks I should know about?

1 I heard AS5 can make a difference of about 2-5 celcius.

2 Water cooling is called water cooling because the water cools the proc, not the air bubbles inside the loop.

3 IDK

4 IDK

also keep in mind that thermal compounds take a litte while to burn in. they have to work their way into all the microscopic pits and things like that. i only use arctic silver 5, and use it when i first build, so i cant compair it with anything, but you should pick up another 2-3 degrees as it burns in.

also keep in mind that thermal compounds take a litte while to burn in. they have to work their way into all the microscopic pits and things like that. i only use arctic silver 5, and use it when i first build, so i cant compair it with anything, but you should pick up another 2-3 degrees as it burns in.

awesome. thanks.

I have to say that seems really really hot. I have to question whether the block is seated properly.

I have an oc'd X3210 and an OC 8800GTS in my loop
I have put all the way up to 1.6vcore and still only have seen temps at ~55 on all cores after 3 hours of prime.

Granted you have the NB in your loop and I dont, but I would think that the gpu would dump more heat into the loop then the NB. that and the fact I was running almost 0.3+ v into my cpu then you are

I have to say that seems really really hot. I have to question whether the block is seated properly.

I have an oc'd X3210 and an OC 8800GTS in my loop
I have put all the way up to 1.6vcore and still only have seen temps at ~55 on all cores after 3 hours of prime.

Granted you have the NB in your loop and I dont, but I would think that the gpu would dump more heat into the loop then the NB. that and the fact I was running almost 0.3+ v into my cpu then you are

Iv seated it about 4 times and no change.

I think the pump may not be powerful enough. :(. as the storm is quite a restrictive block.

Most likely the fact that you're using a storm. I bet if you used an Apogee your temps would drop. If not because of the larger area of cooling (storm is made for small-die CPUs), because of the extra flow you'd be getting.

My water cooled pc idles around 30C and load is around 57C. Thats with a waterblock on the nb and gpu

Check sig for my project.

My water cooled pc idles around 30C and load is around 57C. Thats with a waterblock on the nb and gpu

Check sig for my project.

ur getting beter temps than me at 4.1ghz....damn.

would a "Laing DDC-1T Pro w/XSPC Delta Pump Top" be better for higher flow. Theres one on ebay atm which I could try n get it it doesnt get too expensive.

DDCs are awesome pumps. It would definitely help, but I personally wouldn't get any PC parts off ebay. I'm sure there's a few good pumps going in the Classies. Look for DDC/MCP350s or D5/MCP655s.

DDCs are awesome pumps. It would definitely help, but I personally wouldn't get any PC parts off ebay. I'm sure there's a few good pumps going in the Classies. Look for DDC/MCP350s or D5/MCP655s.

I would use the classies but I dont rele wanna spend an extra $15-20 on shipping tho. :(

Hmm, well I'm sure you know what you're doing :)

But yeah, the DDC is a great pump. I use a modded stock top instead of an aftermarket top. The best aftermarket top is Petra's, followed by Alphacool's IMO.

Hmm, well I'm sure you know what you're doing :)

But yeah, the DDC is a great pump. I use a modded stock top instead of an aftermarket top. The best aftermarket top is Petra's, followed by Alphacool's IMO.

kwl...I'll be sure to look into it...not sure where I'll get the money from tho lol.

There is a hella lot of tubing there :) one thing to consider.

true but I doubt that would change the temp that much. And i cant rele put it anywhere else which is a tad annoying but hey.

Does the pump outlet go to the center of the Storm? I couldn't tell by your pics, but it's an easy mistake to make your first time. Make sure the water flow isn't going into the edge of the waterblock and coming out the middle, it needs to flow into the middle port and come out the side.

Back