• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

166fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badgers

does anyone out there have (2) 256meg DDR sticks, a SCSI card, a SCSI hard drive, CD-Burner(that works!) and a network connection running stable at 166mhz FSB.

I was going to buy kingmax PC2700 with the 5ns chips but I would be ****ed if I can't get the board to run at 166.

I will change the multiplier if I have to.
It just seems that some OC people get results by having one stick of ram, one hard drive and then a vid card with nothing else.

I wan't to have a practical system that can run stable at 166.
I was looking at the shuttle AK31 rev3.1
anyone with this board running 166 FSB and have 512 meg of ram and using a burner without errors?

thank you for your time and have a good day

I have network 8500 sound and others and 3 sticks of 2100 fine at 166, its really dependent on your board and luck really, although scuzi drives cause problems.

My burner and dvd are fine by the way as is my 52x cd and ata133HDD.

However there can be PCI dividers at 166FSB for some boards.

Last edited:
I was looking at an adaptec SCSI card. It was my understanding that the card can handle 66mhz PCI bus. With that I really thought that the SCSI would be the least problem.
My big concern was the IDE burner. I did not want to spend the extra money for SCSI burner or DVD because I just don't see the need for it.

I am looking at the segate X15 drive. It really seems to be fast.

badgers said:
I was looking at an adaptec SCSI card. It was my understanding that the card can handle 66mhz PCI bus. With that I really thought that the SCSI would be the least problem.
My big concern was the IDE burner. I did not want to spend the extra money for SCSI burner or DVD because I just don't see the need for it.

I am looking at the segate X15 drive. It really seems to be fast.

If it can handle 66Mhz then WOW! I've never seen a card that can handle more than 50Mhz unless you're lucky, most will do fine till about 43Mhz, but your CD Burner shouldn't give trouble, it depends on your board and whether it can handle high IDE speeds.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year:beer:

I think the card is designed for 66mhz because some systems use 66mhz PCI speeds to overcome the PCI bottle neck.

The new drives are passing theoretically 160mb/sec and the PCI bus can only handle 133mb/sec

Add to that the fact that the PCI bus is shared with the audio, IDE and the network card.

there are even 64 bit PCI busses.

PCI sucks it is to slow for high end work.

You're talking about the New PCI interface which is 66Mhz, if its backwards compatible with regualr PCI then you will have no problems.

One common problem with high FSB's is Data corruption, so don't be suprised if even when you've lowered the FSB you have to re-format your HDD.

My computer is 100% stable at 173mhz 1/4 pci bus, but I do have the option to switch to 1/5.

2-256mb of kingmax 2700 5ns ddr. 2.8v cas2.
IWill xp-333-r rev 2.1 motherboard.
Promise tx-2 133ata controller card (pci 66-33mhz compatable).
Plextor 8/4/32a cd burner hooked up to the promise card,no coasters at 173mhz fsb.

Back