• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Pumps! Your thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Daddy

Registered
Ok ive nearly got everything for my DIY water cooling kit. Ive been looking at water pumps and ive comeacross this on ebay:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3000-LTR-INLI...yZ139926QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do u guys think, will this be any use?

Bad points and good points and any suggestions????

Please keep in mind i wanna go almost 100% DIY with this project with no Retail parts from Water Cooling companys (apart from the block).

Specs for pump:- http://www.hailea.com/E-hailea/product-1/HX-6830.htm#

Only thing is it uses 100W for power, is that too high and would cause too much heat to enter the loop?

Cheers

Last edited:
At 100W it's overkill. I'd suggest sticking to a 12v pump or an Enheim like Adragontattoo mentioned.

13gpm at a 10' head.
A w/c system is gonna flow like 1gpm with a pump with a 10' head.
That thing's gonna dump heat like a hair dryer.

Maybe ya could water cool it......

First off its submersable so that means youll have to have a big res which this pump will have to sit in the water,,, Get an ehiem like the others said ;)

I am curious what your reasoning is for avoiding all watercooling companies? The D5 and DDC pumps are made by Laing and have been adapted for our use. They aren't made specifically for watercooling since that simply wouldn't make economic sense. Their main applications are for industrial uses, but they happen to work well for our setups. I don't see the difference between this and using an aquarium pump.

If DIY is your thing, then why buy a premade waterblock? I just don't follow your reasoning. I also would assume then that you are going to use a heatercore and not a rad?

If an aquarium pump is what you want, then I totally agree with everyone else on the Eheims. Or you could always go with an Iwaki.

I am curious what your reasoning is for avoiding all watercooling companies? The D5 and DDC pumps are made by Laing and have been adapted for our use. They aren't made specifically for watercooling since that simply wouldn't make economic sense. Their main applications are for industrial uses, but they happen to work well for our setups. I don't see the difference between this and using an aquarium pump.

If DIY is your thing, then why buy a premade waterblock? I just don't follow your reasoning. I also would assume then that you are going to use a heatercore and not a rad?

If an aquarium pump is what you want, then I totally agree with everyone else on the Eheims. Or you could always go with an Iwaki.

Yeah ill be going for a heatercore and the reason i went for a premade waterblock as i dont have the tools and probably the skills to make one myself. Think i am going for a Eheim pump now lol.

I mainly wanted to go for a DIY setup as some reveiws i have read said that DIY kits are much better then ready made kits e.g. heatercores better than rads and better range of pumps etc

They mean DIY as in buying the parts seperate and usuing them not actually making the kit yourself. Premade as in like a swiftech kit which all the parts are midgrade and catered to be easy above effective.

Yeah ill be going for a heatercore and the reason i went for a premade waterblock as i dont have the tools and probably the skills to make one myself. Think i am going for a Eheim pump now lol.

I mainly wanted to go for a DIY setup as some reveiws i have read said that DIY kits are much better then ready made kits e.g. heatercores better than rads and better range of pumps etc

You are misunderstanding what people mean by DIY. We mean simply that you pick the components that you want and put it all together. In other words, it is best normally not to buy a premade kit. It doesn't mean that you don't buy your parts from watercooling shops. The best parts are to be had from the watercooling shops. Two notable exceptions to this are the Swiftech kits, and the kits at Petrastechshop. They both are really just good parts put together and will work well. Petras puts parts together like you might buy separately on your own.

As for heatercore vs rad, heatercores are made for cars. They are thick and hence need quite a bit of cfms in order to work well, and you have to make a shroud for them so that the fans stand off. Rads made for watercooling have shrouds already built in, they look better, and can be more efficient, particularly with lower cfms. It is hard anymore to pay for a dual heatercore for $20 and make a shroud and figure out how to mount it, when you can buy a Swiftech MCR320 for $45 and be done with it.

As for pumps, Eheim does make good pumps, but they are AC and they are large. You can get twice the head pressure and more flow in a D5 or DDC 3.1 or 3.2 with 1/3 of the size or less, and they are DC and hence naturally turn on and off with the PSU.

You are misunderstanding what people mean by DIY. We mean simply that you pick the components that you want and put it all together. In other words, it is best normally not to buy a premade kit. It doesn't mean that you don't buy your parts from watercooling shops. The best parts are to be had from the watercooling shops. Two notable exceptions to this are the Swiftech kits, and the kits at Petrastechshop. They both are really just good parts put together and will work well. Petras puts parts together like you might buy separately on your own.

As for heatercore vs rad, heatercores are made for cars. They are thick and hence need quite a bit of cfms in order to work well, and you have to make a shroud for them so that the fans stand off. Rads made for watercooling have shrouds already built in, they look better, and can be more efficient, particularly with lower cfms. It is hard anymore to pay for a dual heatercore for $20 and make a shroud and figure out how to mount it, when you can buy a Swiftech MCR320 for $45 and be done with it.

As for pumps, Eheim does make good pumps, but they are AC and they are large. You can get twice the head pressure and more flow in a D5 or DDC 3.1 or 3.2 with 1/3 of the size or less, and they are DC and hence naturally turn on and off with the PSU.

Cool thanks for the info, obviously i didnt do as much research as i thot i did b4 makin desicions. thnks again

The pond pumps, which I actually have used for my turtles :\ have some issues, easily lock up with air in the line, are not very consistent, etc, etc.

Good luck on your setup.

Back