• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob to liquid cooling... need advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biofear

I'm pretty new when it comes to liquid cooling but I think it time that I have to finally do it. I read some of the stickies but it doesn't seem to answer some of my questions. Which type of system is better external cooling, internal all in one system, or a pieced together DangerDen type system? My CPU runs aroud 65C and my GPU's run around 72C each. I have 5 80mm fans and a 120mm blow hole but this thing still puts out heat like a hair dryer. Some advise would sure be welcome. Thanks.

generally piecing together your own kit is what is endorsed around here
This allows you to pick the parts that are right for you

premades are always discouraged as they are usually worse then air cooling with the except of swiftech kits

Start simple, because you can always addon.

If you want to cool the cpu and both graphics cards in the same loop, you will need pretty good stuff right away. Might want to just try the CPU first.

Well I'd like it to be completed in one shot . These are the parts that I've been looking at so far...

Thermocill PA120.3 radiator
DangerDen 8800 GTS gpu blocks
XSPC Dual 5.25 bay reservoir
Primachill ICE non-conductive coolant
1/2" ID Tygon Tubing

But I have a few questions.

What is a good CPU block and pump to go with?

Should I split the input and output coolant hose?
ex: the coolant runs from the reservoir to the pump then to the radiator. Once past the radiator can i run a "Y" fitting, splitting off the hose running one way to the cpu and the other part of the "Y" running to an addition "Y" feeding to both GPU blocks. (might have to draw that out LOL)

How do you actually mount the radiator to the inside of the front of the case?(Do I need to drill holes in the case where the mounting screws go using some kind of tempate?)

Is the heat output the same as a air cooled system?

I can chime in on heat output, your current system might be an "Oven" IE it gets hot and then stays hoter due to air flow etc.

That being said any set of components when cooled effeciantly generate the same watts, the diference with water cooling is it is exhanged over a larger area and may be percieved as being cooler, but your cpu and gpu's aren't generating less heat they are just being cooled more effeciantly.

So technicaly no, but sort of yes in real the real world. Especialy if the current air system isn't able to keep up and is creating an oven situation.

Another thing that will make a good amount of heat that you might not be thinking about are hard drives, and your power supply.

I can chime in on heat output, your current system might be an "Oven" IE it gets hot and then stays hoter due to air flow etc.

That being said any set of components when cooled effeciantly generate the same watts, the diference with water cooling is it is exhanged over a larger area and may be percieved as being cooler, but your cpu and gpu's aren't generating less heat they are just being cooled more effeciantly.

So technicaly no, but sort of yes in real the real world. Especialy if the current air system isn't able to keep up and is creating an oven situation.

Another thing that will make a good amount of heat that you might not be thinking about are hard drives, and your power supply.

Yeah I figured my PSU is a big heating device but my cpu runs about 65C and GPUs run about 72C these are underload of course. But you're right my blow hole feels as hot as a hair dryer.

So what you're saying is the heat is more spread out through out all the liquid (being cool by the radiator) instead of blowing it constistantly out of the case?

Sort of, right now your components are getting hotter then they will when watercooled, that is because typicaly air cooling isn't as good as watercooling. So if you had a air system that was as effeciant it would be the same. LOL

You will probably see less HairDryer type heat once watercooled. But technicaly the cpu is generating the same amount of heat. As the cpu is cooled the heat doesn't build up so it isn't as hot. If that makes any sense.

I would say you can expect less "heat" output. Sorry I tend to be much more anal about stupid **** that doesn't matter then needed.

Bio,
A good pump choice is either the D5 ( MCP655 ) or the D3 ( MCP355 ) with an aftermarket top. I can only speak to the D5, which rocks as far as I'm concerned. A decent CPU block is easy to come by, Apogee GT/GTX, Dtek Fuzion, Storm ( yes? *looks at peanut gallery* ), are all good choices IMO. As for splitting your tubing, probably not necessary, its much easier to just run it all in series. Trying to do it in parallel has little effect on temperature and will probably decrease your flow rate, which will have an effect on temperature ( and not in a good way ). Let us know if you have anymore questions.
-Drew

You have picked excellent parts so far. I am a huge fan of the Apogee GTX, but everyone has success with all different blocks. Again I am a fan of the D5 style pump, its strong, quiet and lasts a long time. As far as coolants go, this I am not a fan of. Distilled water is only pennies to buy and cools just as well. I spent the money on the fancy FluidXP once and it was a disaster for me. It sheared in less than 2 weeks, I was not happy at all about that waste of money. Now its just water and a few drops of Iodine and I would wager my temps are the same as fancy coolant temps. BUT, this is just one mans opinion. That money you spend by your own decision.

I would also suggest that you keep the blocks in series with no Y's. You loose too much flow that way. Just make sure your CPU is first.

Thanks guys I was actually eye balling the D5 pump and I'll check out thoughs cpu blocks.

One more question... I have a mid tower now and I am wanting to get a full tower for this build, could you point me in the right direction as far as want kind of tower would handle the thermochill radiator? I've been looking around but not sure which kind of case would be moddable.

Back