• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to WC, couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clok1966

I am currently working on my first WC setup. I bought a Gigabyte Galaxy II setup. First off, this is my first attempt so I went ready made (already not sure about that descision). I Upgraded the rad to a Black Ice Pro II Dual 120mm and installed (2) Enermax Enlobal Marathon 120 fans. These fans seem a bit weak? I must admit they are very queit. Well i got it all togther and let it sit at idel in bios for about 2 hours. the temp was 38C (asus P5B deluxe, E6600, artic silver). This seemed warm to me, i was figuring maybe 32C idle. Well I then procedded to install the OS and I installed ASUS temp monitor program. this shows about a 23C idle. The MB idles at about 35C by the Bios.

So questions, better temp monitoring? or ? Do i believe one over the other? I have put my fingers on the wateblock and its not hot at all, its almost cool to the touch. I know with water thats to be expected, Im used to air where i can put my finger on base of heatsink and get a rough idea (warm to touch, sometimes almsot hot). From just feeling it i cant see the CPU being 38C, the base of waterblock is just to cool (I think).

WOW! look at that sig, been awhile since i posted here, still lurk all the time though)

Next question, fans I love how quiet the Enermaxs are, but I have a fan controler and was hoping they would run a bit faster so i could turn um down at idle and leave um cranked under load. Any suggestions on fans, somthing that puchses more air? The enermaxs are spose to be 44CFM, im thinking they are rated by marketing guys. I know its larger surface area but i have 80mm fans that seem to push as much air.

And last question, I have read the pumps ont eh Gigabyte setup are suspect and may fail. I know i used to have a program that shut my computer off if a certian temp was reached, but i cant find it again. there must be somthing out there that does this, anybody point me to it?

thanks!

Last edited:
i thought asus probe had a function like that to shut down the computer at the specified temp?

Use coretemp with your E6600, it will tell you the most accurate temps.
I have never used the enermax fans, but i've always loved yates for quiet highflow fans. 80mm fans will push more air, but at much louder cost.

You should be able to setup the auto turnoff in bios, i'm sure the asus has it.

hmm, i didnt notice it in the asus software or the bios, but to be honest I havent done much OC (hence, almost no bios tweeking) since the athlon days and the Bios are layed out alot different now. I will dig a bit deeper tonight.

Will also grab Coretemp, thanks!

computer will shut itself off if the temps are to high so the programs are at best redundant.

So goog your saying that somehow it will automaticly shut off if temps get to high ( just downloaded manual and i cant see any settings in bios or asus programs for a setting) or are you saying, ya , once i cook it, it will be shut off :) ?

Since I have heard horror stories about eh gigybyte pump and I leave my mahcine on 24/7 i just want to be sure if im not there it will shutdown if i have a pump failure.

Back