• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Cryo-Z Tested!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

Tweaktown has a review of the long awaited OCZ Cryo-Z Phase Change Cooler up ..

Linky :D

Bit annoyed by the fact it uses a 110v compressor (that means us UK folk can't run one off mains power as we use 230v)

Performance wise .. About the same as Mach II .. Not the best phase unit around but for the price its not bad ..

Anyways .. enjoy! :beer:

Too bad it wont be able to hold the heat load of an overclocked quad core. It's also unfortunate it's taken 2 years to see what it's all about.

With the price point they were talking about when they first announced this I didn't figure it would have a very high heat load capacity. It will have enough trouble just dealing with a highly overclocked E6xxx or E8xxx chip, much less a quad. It will be interesting to see exactly what their MSRP will be though on this unit.

Makes me kind of wonder why they even have a phase unit that wont cool those chips well. I would think that when you buy phase change, you are thinking overclocking, not just running stock speeds really, really cold.

Makes me kind of wonder why they even have a phase unit that wont cool those chips well. I would think that when you buy phase change, you are thinking overclocking, not just running stock speeds really, really cold.

This isn't a custom phase unit, it's a pre-build... I'm sure you could put together a custom phase unit for some heavy overclocking.

The product itself has been in development for a few years now, before the Core2 series I believe.

Core 2 has been out for almost 2 years now. That's plenty of time for them to take into account the loads they produce. It just doesn't make sense to buy a several hundred dollar phase change unit to run a mild OC, if that. Especially when air/water setups will do the same for a fraction of the cost. I was just hoping for better.

i see a pile of crap, does any one else?
the reviewer is right, it may have the parts but over all bulid quality is certianly lacking

Quite disappointing to see something with such quality after years of development.

Small rad, one fan ehh seems would rather worth to build one from scratch than mod it.

Sounds like this first run is a disappointment. Hopefully this won't be the end of the line for production Phase Change Cooling from OCZ.

The review doesn't say exactly what compressor it uses. :(
If it did then I'd be able to tell it can be tuned to ~250W. But looks like it can.

If you look at this picture in the article, you have a blowup of the label on the compressor, if that helps out any.

The label reads:

ZEL GQY70AD

Googling ZEL brought up the manufacturer's site, here. And looking around there I found a pdf file with their r134a compressors listed. They didn't have the specs for that exact model listed but do have a 220v 50 hz model listed and I imagine the only difference is the motor type in the compressor. Anyways, I'm attaching for pdf file for you to look at and see if it's moddable.

Attachments

• r134a.pdf
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,158
What a completely useless review. They make absolutely no mention about what kind of load their TECC test is supposed to represent. A peltier of some sorts, wow. Without knowing the wattage it's a worthless test since nothing can be compared to it. :bang head I'm callin' BS on this one.

Can't even barely hold a quad. past 200mhz oc and above 1.42vcore, crashes. However will be okay for those with amazing e8400's and stuff to hit 5ghz, Fuggers is a very very rare chip dont be fooled.

I was one of the most skeptical, but this is quite impressive.

4.2GHz stable on single stage for a 65nm quad is nothing to scoff at.

Can't even barely hold a quad. past 200mhz oc and above 1.42vcore, crashes. However will be okay for those with amazing e8400's and stuff to hit 5ghz, Fuggers is a very very rare chip dont be fooled.

You will see :)

This (besides initial build quality) is great.

Back