• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

---*Ever wanted more than one PSU? This device makes it possible for everyone*---

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
---*Ever wanted more than one PSU? This device makes it possible for everyone*---

Looking at OcUK I saw this incredible little device for connecting as many PSU's together as you can desire:eek: (in daisychain fashion)

Its a relay which allows multiple PSU's to be switched on or off together while being completely isolated from each other, it also protects against power spikes.
Its also very affordable at £15.22

Get them here

These are great to use older PSU's to power fans, I've already ordered one.

Enjoy!:beer:

Nick:p

Last edited:
Also on the same page they sell these little devices to control your 3 pin fans RPM.
A really great solution for noise. (When you have guests!!!):D

Merry Christmas all and a Happy New Year:beer:

Last edited:
Re: ---*Ever wanted more than one PSU? This device makes it possible for everyone*---

nick_cw said:
Looking at OcUK I saw this incredible little device for connecting as many PSU's together as you can desire:eek: (in daisychain fashion)

Its a relay which allows multiple PSU's to be switched on or off together while being completely isolated from each other, it also protects against power spikes.
Its also very affordable at £15.22

Get them here

These are great to use older PSU's to power fans, I've already ordered one.

Enjoy!:beer:

I guess I don't see the benefit of something like this...

I have had two psu's in one case, one main one, and one for the fans, etc. How would this help me?

Basically it allows you without any modifications to run two PSU's and have them turning on and off at the same time (caused me loads of grief forgetting the fans etc)

Also it stops you having to Mod your PSU something i'm not to keen on.

I think for many rigs even mine (My 400Watt has a 4.80V 5.00V line because of all the fans) this will help. Especially if you have an old PSU sitting around and you don't have the Money to buy a new one.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Nick:beer: :p

Yeah, I can see that...My comp. is always on, though. I had a nice AT psu that had a button that I would press if I wanted the fans to come on.

thanks!

Just wire the psu's together and not spend any money while both are controled from the same switch that goes on and off as your computer does.

My old AT PSU's switch wouldn't fit at the front of the case and i'm glad it didn't as it was ugly! Therefore I had to take the case side off everytime I needed it on!!!

Oh and quick note, the adapter is for ATX PSU's.

mEKbOY said:
Just wire the psu's together and not spend any money while both are controled from the same switch that goes on and off as your computer does.

How can you do that with ATX Psu's?????? It requires a Mod and I haven't the time unfortunately to fiddle with my 400Watt PSU!!!

nick_cw said:

How can you do that with ATX Psu's?????? It requires a Mod and I haven't the time unfortunately to fiddle with my 400Watt PSU!!!

Wouldn't running a splice on the 2 MB power signal wires (I think the standard color for them is green), do the trick? I'm not 100% sure on this so someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Definitely a cool little device........I made my own with a cheap relay for about $5 though, took about 15 minutes. I don't know what the exchange rate is but $5 is pretty cheap. Like me.:p

But If you have a lot of time and money in case mods and windows the one I did would look HORRIBLE!

ATX PSU mod

sure would like to know how to connect my ATX cpu (Spare) up so I could use it to power other devices...running a 350 what CPU and buttloads of fans and Harddrives. Would be nice to have the spare 250 in there for the fans and maybe a harddrive or 2 ;)

nick_cw said:
-snip-
I think for many rigs even mine (My 400Watt has a 4.80V 5.00V line because of all the fans) this will help. Especially if you have an old PSU sitting around and you don't have the Money to buy a new one.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Nick:beer: :p

This is how "Urban Myths" get started. The 12V load has little or no impact on the +5V regulation circuit in a switching PSU. To prove this allegation, I grabbed a handfull of power resistors and loaded the +12V line to different current levels, while running Prime95 Torture. I monitored the +5V at the power MosFets with a Fluke DMM. These loads are in addition to my 2) 120MM fans and 3) 80MM fans.

No Additional 12V load: 5.10V
Additional 1A load Equivalent to 1) additional 120MM fans: 5.13V
Additional 2A load Equivalent to 2) additional 120MM fans: 5.13V
Additional 4A load Equivalent to 4) additional 120MM fans: 5.13V
Additional 6A load Equivalent to 6) additional 120MM fans: 5.13V

There are several factors that effect the +5V on the motherboard
when the CPU is loaded, but the +12V load is not one of them.

73, Hoot

Hey just tryin to help!:D

I got a increase from 4.8V to 4.95V when i'd taken them out, yes there are Mosfets mod's and such but if you have space for a spare PSU and you don't particulary want to mod anything then this device is really useful.

Nick:beer:

Point well taken Nick. Yes, the device you originally pointed out will be of use to people. I realized my testing methodology in my previous post was flawed. Even with the additional load of 6A on my 12V line, my PSU was still not running at its maximum total capacity. If your PSU is running at its maximum total capacity, then adding any additional load to any of its outputs will impact the other outputs.

If I were running a PSU that was operating at or close to its maximum total capacity, I would not consider a solution to this problem as adding a second PSU. I would consider replacing the main PSU with one that has enough maximum total capacity to meet the needs of my system. One less device in the system, one less opportunity for a failure to occur.

For people with high reliabilty requirements of their PC, such as a server which other people depend upon for productivity, then it is wise to have a "hot-swappable" redundant PSU. In that case, having a device like you mention would be quite useful for allowing the PSU to be swapped out without having to open the case and grab some tools.

73, Hoot

Thats correct.

I'm thinking of buying a new PSU as my 400Watt is a bit iffy, but I only have £40 so I might purchase another one of these and hope it has a better 5V line as I've never seen it over 5.02V

Nick

Back