• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling - What is the best coolant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LucrativeFuture

Registered
I thought I might use automotive coolant with distilled water. I heard about pentosin type coolant but I don't know how it differs from regular engine coolant. What are your recommendations on types/concentrations?

Whats the general opinion on Fesser One fluid? Not meant as a hijack, seems to tie in with the original question.

Last edited:
Why run auto coolant? Or any antifreeze stuff. It doesn't help temps. Peeps who want the bling of colored or UV light water add stuff. Otherwise dist water and a few drops of Bio is all you need.

Why run auto coolant? Or any antifreeze stuff. It doesn't help temps. Peeps who want the bling of colored or UV light water add stuff. Otherwise dist water and a few drops of Bio is all you need.

Antifreeze is used to help prevent corrosion if metals are mixed. Without being given any parts by the OP, it's best to cover all the bases.

Feser One - F1 - Cooling Fluid

I use Feser One - F1 - Cooling Fluid. I was not comfortable with turning into an alchemist.:beer:

Of all the coolants you can get Feser One is the best.. http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/02/16/watercooling_fluid_shootout/4
And from what these guys say, can beat distilled temps.

That isn't possible, and is just marketing hype. They are also the same ones that are saying that their Thermochill clone beats the Thermochill by 5c which is more than highly suspect.

If you are using an all copper loop, you can use plain old grocery store .69 cents a gallon distilled water with some algaecide (fish aquarium type works fine). I also throw about 6-7 drops of alcohol free povidone-iodine into the loop to kill anything else that the algaecide doesn't get. Antifreeze is optional, but I did add about 10% mainly for the color. Antifreeze does act as an anticorrosive, and it does give some PH buffering. It also may slightly reduce wear on the pump, but only very slightly and probably not enough to make a difference. I am using red Toyota dealer antifreeze (which is Pentosin). Pentosin antifreeze works very well and hence the recommendation of it.

yet again.

additives to water only retard the effectivness of water as a coolant (that includes dyes and AF and iodine etc etc).

just run distilled water and silver tubes and be done with it...

Whats the general opinion on Fesser One fluid? Not meant as a hijack, seems to tie in with the original question.

Google Fesser One and pull the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). You will find it is
nothing more that Ethylene Glycol, distilled water and a boat load of total marketing
spin that is complete BS.

Viper

yet again.

additives to water only retard the effectivness of water as a coolant (that includes dyes and AF and iodine etc etc).

just run distilled water and silver tubes and be done with it...

Cmon Myco, a drop of algaecide and a few drops of iodine aren't going to do a single thing to retard the effectiveness of water. Antifreeze yes, but the others, no.

Silver Tygon is great if you like silver color, but for the rest of us, a few drops to prevent problems is the way to go.

Back