• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

final verdict on Apogee GTX mixed metals?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
The Apogee GTX has a copper base and a nickel-plated aluminum top. Some people were dissapointed to see mixed metals when it first came out and Swiftech eventually made a copper top but unfortunately it's still only available as a separate additional purchase and almost doubles the cost of the block. Now there are some threads around screaming 'electrolytic corrosion' but they are pretty few and far between for the number of blocks that I'm sure have been sold. It looks like these might just be from silly people using straight water with no additives in their loop or maybe even intentionally done to spread FUD. I know people have used mixed loops for long periods with no problem since they use corrosion inhibitors, and with brass rads and nickel barbs most loops are mixed anyway. Should I be looking for a replacement top, a different block, or just stick with the GTX + corrosion inhibitors.

Otherwse what's the 'hot block' at the moment? The D-Tek Fuzion gets mentioned a lot. There's also the EK Supreme but its retention mechanism is said to ave compatability issues with some mobos.

p.s. I know nikhsub1 will come out right away against the mixed metals :p In theory I agree it's less than ideal Feel free to post nikhsub but I want more opinions as well ;) real-world use is what really matters.

I say use what works well for you.

If you are looking for a new block then try the D-Tek Fuzion.

You could try the copper top but that seems like an un-needed expense... I would just reccomend sticking with the current block + corrosion inhibitors...

p.s. I beat Nikhsub1 to the thread

I was just about to purchase the GTX months back, then I noticed the top.

I have a fuzion instead.

Swiftech knows better, they were just being cheap (and scam artists, since they KNEW what was going to happen and put copper parts out there for suckers to buy after the fact).

Shoot, why bundle the parts when plenty of fools will buy both?

Never mix metals, it will ALWAYS fail. Even anodized will fail, because somewhere there is a molecular hole, and it will start there and work its way out every time.

Back