• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what fan to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jinu

i just received my PA 160.1 w/ shroud in the mail today and i need a fan. i was looking at these, http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12tfexhisp.html.
then realized that at 65 dba i would feel like i was landing a plane. so i want something thats gonna be a tad quieter. i would like 100 cfm or there abouts, but i dont want anything over 40-45 dba. any goo suggestions? also, i need mounting hardware for the rad any ideas on where i can pick it up, ie hardware store. if so, what do i need to get?
tia

is this better than the giant $50 one with the two blade sets? (the long one)

you are aware that even 45db is quite loud? Why not upgrade the rad and put on low rpm fans to save your sanity. The nice thing about water cooling is that if done right not only does it give your system more stability(room to OC) it makes it very quiet. I like the fact that I can be collecting some heads in crysis and can't even hear the faintest whisper of my system sitting 2 feet away, or while I'm surfing the web trying to listen to the news the only distractions are my kid and that damned dog, but no howl of a high performance computer next to me. Something to be said about a machine that pulls down a 20k 3dmark 06 and can't be heard at all.

for right now, i just wanted to get it set up and see how well it will cool. 45 dba isnt bad for me cause thats quieter than my current set up due to my nirvana being set on high. i may end up getting a PA 120.2 and then go with quieter fans. but i just got everything pieced together last night and with the antec tricool that im using now in the meant time this thing i so much quieter than before. i had to connect an led to the psu to make sure everything was running. lol. its being leak tested now so i will have some picks posted here later today after i know its gtg.

If you put out the money for a PA160, then why do you have this idea to run 100cfm fans? You could run a Black Ice for half the cost and get the same performance at those cfms. You buy a Thermochill to use lower cfm fans as that is where the performance advantage is.

Having said that, a PA160 performs nearly as well as a PA120.2, so why don't you just run it with some medium speed yate loons?

If you put out the money for a PA160, then why do you have this idea to run 100cfm fans? You could run a Black Ice for half the cost and get the same performance at those cfms. You buy a Thermochill to use lower cfm fans as that is where the performance advantage is.

Having said that, a PA160 performs nearly as well as a PA120.2, so why don't you just run it with some medium speed yate loons?

ya know, thats a good question. i dont know. i got the PA 160 for about 50 shipped, and i saw reviews where it did perform better than most dual rads at that price.also, i dont really have the room and its my first "real" watercooling so im still relatively noobish in regards to this.

Back