• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time, How does this set up look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JH258

Registered
CPU: Swiftech Apogee GTX
GPU:Swiftech MCW60-R X2
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservoir
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump
Rad:Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm - Black
Tubing:Tygon R3603 7/16in. ID 11/16in. OD 10 Ft.
Fluid: Feser One F1 Cooling Fluid - UV BLUE - 1 Liter

Rig:What's in my Signature

Looks great, I'd see if you could squeeze a MCR120 in somewhere though, also dont use coolant, just distilled water and biocide (antifreeze if your mixing metals)

I don't know much about this, but could I down size to a 2 fan radiator + the 1 fan radiator and be better off?

I think you'd be better off with one 120x3... I'm not sure if you will or won't need another radiator. I'd recommend it though. If you have the space, a Bonneville heatercore (2x120) would work great in your loop. They go for around $20 from a local shop.

For coolant, don't (i repeat, do NOT) spend money on WC coolant. Use distilled water and some biocide/algaecide. You can pick up distilled water for $1 a gallon at supermarkets. Biocide/algaecide can be had from pet shops and pharmacies/drug stores. Povidone Iodine is a good biocide, algaecide from pet shops. You don't need an anti-corrosive (ie. Antifreeze) because your whole loop is copper (or rather copper/brass/nickel and no other kinds of metals).

OK, I'll scrap the coolant. I think I want to stick with manufactured products, just to be safe. Would I really saturate the heat dissipation of a 120x3 though?

OK, I'll scrap the coolant. I think I want to stick with manufactured products, just to be safe. Would I really saturate the heat dissipation of a 120x3 though?

I personally couldn't give you an answer. I think it'll run fine but you'll be running a little hot. This is purely estimation though... never used a production rad just yet (my new WC loop, with a PA120.2 should be up this week though! :D) so I dunno how well those handle heat. In addition, I haven't used much new hardware at all (the newest hardware I've used is what is in my sig... P-D and a 7900GS). I do remember a while back that many people were giving advice to get 120.3s when they just were not necessary (still somewhat modern hardware, core duos and 7900-8800 GPUs), ie, a single dual CPU/GPU loop. However running a quad and two 3800 cards (Those are heat dumps, huh?), I think you might run a bit hot with a single 120.3 and will need a new rad. I know that you'll run cooler with a Thermochill PA120.3, but those are crazy expensive (I spent $90 on my 120.2 when I could have spent $20-$40 on a MCR-220). I believe Thermochill did testing that proved their 120.2 performed as well as a BIP/BIX/BIGTS 120.3, thus I use that to assume their 120.3 would be nearly equivalent to a BIP/BIX/BIGTS 120.4 (if they were produced).

meionm said:
Except for gtx aluminium top.

No worries on the top. It's nickel and zinc plated. Won't corrode.

Swiftech said:
The housing is CNC machined out of billet aluminum and receives two plating's for a lifetime protection against corrosion: electroless nickel plating (MIL-C-26074E grade B) and Zinc Cobalt plating (ASTM B 840-99 grade 6). A black die is applied after plating strictly for cosmetic appeal.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/ApogeeGTX.asp

You can always get a copper top for the GTX but it's wasted money IMO.

So since I have an aluminum GPU Block I need antifreeze? That's no big deal to get antifreeze. OK new info no Antifreeze needed. LOL

Doesn't matter, where it fits and has the shortest hose route.

Bingo. Put your components in your case and route the tubing so as to use as little tubing as possible. Loop order does not matter. If possible, keep your res behind your pump (so the res outlet goes to the pump inlet). Otherwise, run your loop however is the cleanest and shortest. Having the rad before the CPU doesn't help, contrary to popular belief. The water temp between any point in a WC loop is under 1C, which means the delta temp between your CPU block and the rad is also under 1C. Don't worry about loop order.

Ok, so wherever it fits, that makes sense. I think I'll try starting out with the one 3 fan radiator and then if that is warmer than I want I can always add the second.

Yep, you can always add later, and split into two loops, two pumps etc. Should be a good start with what you have for sure. If you order anything from Petras, why not use their Biocide? Cheap and made for our needs. It will last for a long time, you only need a few drops.

Don't forget clamps, and anything else you might need. Fans, fan blade covers, umm etc etc.... Clamps, it's hell being 1 short to finish a loop........

Back