• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps on water cooled q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jinu

just wondering what temps everyone is getting. my temps seem a little high.
im clocked to 3.6, cores range in temps from 32-38c at idle and load at 50-55c room temp is around 23c. my idle temps are about the same as they were when i was using my zerotherm nirvana at idle and they dropped approx 10c under load.
are the temps high? granted, i dont have the best fan on my rad right now. using an antec tricool at high. i think it pushes 73cfm's.
specs
Swiftech Apogee GT
PA 160.1
XSPC aluminum res
MCP655
1/2" ID 3/4" OD

i would say thats good granted you only have a single 120mm rad and a non qaud core water block(GTX or Fuzion).

EDIT: never meant the GT wasn't nice just saying that the GTX and fuzion are better performance for quads.

Last edited:
i understand that you didnt mean the gt was a bad block, but from what i saw there is only a 1-2c advantage over the gt compared with the gtx. i am planning on buying a fuzion once i get some extra cash.

temps were taken at approx 6 hours of running prime 95. its still running so i will take another look when i get home from work. not saying i am completely disappointed in my temps. load dropped alot over the nirvana which i was extremely happy with. im just curious to see others results.

well in that case, nevermind. good call man, i appreciate it. :beer: this is my first custom setup and im still wet behind the ears.

Yeah temps are fine, about the same as mine @ 3.6 + 1.4v. I have a dual rad though, and my 8800GT is on the loop as well.

I just changed my case to a midtower and I'm not getting airflow directly from outside the case anymore, so temps have gone up somewhat.

just wondering what temps everyone is getting. my temps seem a little high.
im clocked to 3.6, cores range in temps from 32-38c at idle and load at 50-55c room temp is around 23c. my idle temps are about the same as they were when i was using my zerotherm nirvana at idle and they dropped approx 10c under load.
are the temps high? granted, i dont have the best fan on my rad right now. using an antec tricool at high. i think it pushes 73cfm's.
specs
Swiftech Apogee GT
PA 160.1
XSPC aluminum res
MCP655
1/2" ID 3/4" OD

I'm running d*mn near the same setup at the same clocks on my quad, only difference is I'm using a dual 80mm rad w/ standard "quiet" fans, and I'm averaging the same temps under full load. I love those Apogee blocks, they've always handled everything I've thrown at them :)

thanks for the response guys, i appreciate it. i just wanted to make sure my temps were in line. i did reset the block last night, used IC7 and that did make a little bit of difference. def made my block all kinds of nice and shinny. lol. but my temps did drop approx 2c at idle, havent loaded it yet, but i also didnt wait the 5-10 mins they say you should before mounting the block, so im going to redo it when i get home. i am very much a perfectionist.

I'm a bit cooler. But it's a Fuzion with a MCR320 (though the GTS is in the loop as well). 50 load 33 idle highest, 20-23 room temp. Just added the jet package, so hopefully that will see a decent dip in temps when I get it put back togeather
Dan

Q6600 at 400x9 1.4675volts w/Swiftech Apogee GTX, swiftech MCR220QP-RES, Swiftech MCP655, & Tygon 3603 1/2"ID 3/4"OD.

2008-03-10-23h54-CPU1.png

I've found my Core varies with the ambient, so significantly in fact that there's no way I can tell you my stable overclock, because personally I have no clue.

when my room is ~67f at night the CPU runs at ~34c load ~24c idle

wait until the afternoon when room temp is ~74f it idles at ~34c loads at ~37c

I've found my Core varies with the ambient, so significantly in fact that there's no way I can tell you my stable overclock, because personally I have no clue.

when my room is ~67f at night the CPU runs at ~34c load ~24c idle

wait until the afternoon when room temp is ~74f it idles at ~34c loads at ~37c

Nice temps, bro.
I've got a,

Q6600 @ 3.5GHZ w/ a eVGA 680i mobo
-Swiftech Apogee GT w/ AC MX-2
-MCP355 w/ Petra's top
-Danger Den Black Ice GTX120 w/ (2) Scythe SFF21E push/pull @ max
-Fluid XP EXT w/ fillport.
going from pump->block->rad->fillport->pump
Temps: 37C idle...45C load

The GT is a good block Jinu. Between your rad and mine, I'm not sure what the difference is between your single pass and my double pass...maybe that IS the temp difference you're getting, can someone clarify? And at max my fans are only doing about 50cfm. Yeah I was thinking about going with the Diamond thermal paste, but a lot of guys recommended I go with MX-2.

Edit: How did you apply your TIM? Across the 2 cores I presume.

Last edited:
well, im pretty sure i messed up the application of the IC7, lol. i guess you are supposed to let it sit for 5-10 mins before you apply the block and i didnt. but man, i was able to buff my block to a nice mirror finish with it lol. i need to redo my loop as the rad is trapping alot of air so that will probably be done today or tomorrow or both because i wanna take my dremel back to my case to open up the holes and create a new one. also, i have another block i wanna test out to see how good it is too.
also, what stepping do you have with your 680i board hung? reason i ask is my friend has an asus board w/ b3 and i cant get it above 2.6.

edit: i did apply it by placing a pea sized dot

Sups Jinu,

So supposedly, the GT is a good block for a Quad from what I've read. I've got a G0 stepping. Still tweaking around with the settings, but I cant seem to get past 3.5GHZ, driving me nutss!. I hear you, your friend might be capped cause me and my friend both got the same batch and neither one of us has gotten past 3.5GHZ. It's really a pain cause different batches from Intel can screw with your OC. I hear the early batches were the best, 3.6GHZ and above. I just bought this one from Microcenter a few weeks ago. But hey, I'm sure that there are a lot of other people here who bought these chips for $199 at Microcenter so if any of you'z guyz gotten it past 3.5GHZ then please raise your hands. :p But 2.6GHZ? Dam, that suX, even for a B3 stepping. He probably got his chip early on maybe?

And if you got the time, see if you can apply it across the IHS (across the words) with a thin line. Similiar to how AS5 or Ceramique is applied for a Quad.

Good luck, bro.

i have actually considered going back to mx-2 cause of how easy it is to apply. IC7 is thick, i mean think of epoxy just before it cures thick. but i will try using the AS5 method. thanks bud

Back