• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New case! Not 56k friendly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=ACID RAIN=

Time to get rid of ol' reliable. I need something LAN-worthy, and a 26in tall steel case isn't gonna do it. So the plan was to get this:
normal_mine.jpg

into this:
11-112-099-14.jpg

Here's the case, Just came in yesterday:
new_case_before.jpg

Fitting the heatercore with the power supply. Damn close fit! I measured before I bought and got this case specifically because it would fit my stuff in this manner.
new_case_rad_fitment.jpg

I have a little trick up my sleeve that gets me 100% surface area usage without a shroud ;)
new_case_rad_gasket.jpg

The block is...BLEEDING! Nope, it's a household acidic solution - ketchup! Cleans copper perfectly, as you can see from the fuzion block on the left, which was black and looking pretty rough beforehand.
wb_cleaning.jpg

<down>

<continued>

Here is a picture of my 8800GT. Believe it or not the ram STILL gets warm. No wonder the ram on these cards fails if overclocked.
normal_8800gt_cooling.jpg

And the desk...poor desk. It went from this:
the_desk1.jpg

to THIS:
new_case_workspace.jpg

Gonna have to clean that up today....ugh.

More to come later, including how I got everything into the case so far without making a single modification to the case itself. The top will have to be cut, but the rad, believe it or not, doesn't even touch the case ;)

Thanks guys :)

Here it is, all finished!

This is the finalized gasket install. Notice the ziptie? I used zipties under the rad to bridge the gap and hold it up, then 2 straps above to pull it down tight. What you end up with is a suspension that doesn't move AT ALL. Yes I could have drilled holes across the case, screwed in dowel rods, or any other oddball way of mounting this, but I chose this way because it required no modification to the inside of the case. Even the pump is taped down with double-sided tape, which works perfectly.
new_case_gasket.jpg

Here is a shot of the clearance between the top and the rad. It's less than 1cm. I would have liked it a bit lower so there was more clearance, but this is good because it keeps the foam gasket nice and tight.
new_case_rad_clrnce.jpg

Here is a picture of the finalized system. I would like to clean up the wires a little more, but for now I am just glad to have my computer back in one piece haha. Tweaking, for me, comes with time ;)
new_case_running.jpg

Shot from the front, with rheostats for the fans. I have not wired in the rheostats yet, but I do have them in place. For now the fans run on 7v. I'll get some matching nuts and bolts later for the fans, and bolt them down tight. Also, it runs a little warmer since I no longer get the rad air directly from the room, idle is 36C on the hottest 2 cores. Room temp is a bit warm though, around 76F. For now, this will do!
new_case_running_fr.jpg

edit: Looks strangely like a face doesn't it? I should something lower in the middle to make a nose.

That is the cleanest mount with a heatercore that I have ever seen. Very nicely done. A little more cable management and you will be good to go.

I used to have a 50z, but it was just way too loud for me. They are good, reliable pumps though.

Ah, so that's what you were planning.

I don't think I'll go that route with my PC60. I'd prefer to have the watercooling loop located entirely within the case, and that means no external fans, either. Your mounting method would also be obstructed by my modular power supply.

Can I make a small suggestion? Remove that fan guard from the back of your case. You'll gain a little airflow and lose a little noise. If you really want a fan guard back there, a generic wire guard will be much better than the chunky aluminum guards that Lian Li supplies.

Edit: Hey, you're not too far from me. Easy 1.5 hours from Beaumont.

Thanks guys!

Ah, so that's what you were planning.

I don't think I'll go that route with my PC60. I'd prefer to have the watercooling loop located entirely within the case, and that means no external fans, either. Your mounting method would also be obstructed by my modular power supply.

Can I make a small suggestion? Remove that fan guard from the back of your case. You'll gain a little airflow and lose a little noise. If you really want a fan guard back there, a generic wire guard will be much better than the chunky aluminum guards that Lian Li supplies.

Edit: Hey, you're not too far from me. Easy 1.5 hours from Beaumont.

I'm with ya on the internal-only, but I decided to deviate from this concept on this case, to give it something different. Having those fans on top, covered in black wire-mesh grills appeals to me for some reason, maybe the industrial nature of it.

Ha, I was in beaumont a few weeks ago. I lived there for 10 years and met my wife when we went to westbrook high school together :D. If you're ever in town you should swing by and check out the rigs!

I have tons of plain wire fan grills, but I wanted to use the stock one because it matched so well, and since I might be taking this to class/LANs sometimes, well, you know how styling is at these things LOL. I'm a big fan of the sleeper concept, so having a relatively plain looking case with a beefy quad system under the hood makes me grin a little hehe. With a 38mm San Ace back there now, I doubt the grill will hurt it too much ;)

You should swing by www.texasoverclockers.com man, we're building up a community based on local OCF members and their friends :D

Back