• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3/8" Vs 1/2" which one is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbq

my loop
Black Ice Extream3
Hydor L35
Swiftech Micro-Res

for CPU only, no GPU or chipset.

Thanks

I use 3/8" for the dual loops in my SIG RIG and will continue to use 3/8" until someone can show me a significant advantage to using larger (harder to route) hose.

Cathar posted this: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515368

Take the time to read his post and you will see only small differences in temps and flow with different sizes of tube.

For your loop, my personal choice would be 3/8" and a "Tee" line instead of a res, purely as a space saver. There is nothing wrong with using a res, as they do help shorten the time it takes to bleed your loop of air bubbles. A "Tee" line will do the same, just not as fast.

1/2" is better IMO. I used 3/8 for two loops before I went to 1/2" and not only did I see better temps with the bigger tubing, but it was a lot easier to work with.

Go with 1/2"..

I prefer 7/16" and your old E6600 prefers it too!

currently i have 1/2 and 3/8 barbs and will set up the loop tomorrow so no time for other barbs. how is the E6600 clocking on you? hope you can hit 4ghz+ club as you expected

3.8Ghz 39 hour Prime stable is the best I could manage @ 1.488V Load. The temps hit 65C even with TONs of cooling power. I believe this chip has a somewhat poor IHS to CPU contact when it comes to high voltage. It boots into windows at 4050Mhz no problem, but temps hit 76C within seconds of starting prime.

For fun I am testing 3.3Ghz @ 1.248V Load so far prime stable. With this lower voltage & clockspeed load, I am only seeing 39C temps under load. That big of a swing is what is telling me I have poor IHS to CPU contact. I lapped the CPU to help in that area too! It's a nice chip overall though!

As RIG RIDER said, read Cathar's post. There are minimal differences in tubing size in temps/flow.

Cathar said:
9.6mm (3/8) barbed = 5.7LPM, 0.0768 block c/w, 0.0369 rad c/w
9.6mm (3/8) quick fit = 6.2LPM, 0.0762 block c/w, 0.0367 rad c/w
11.1mm (7/16) barbed = 6.3LPM, 0.0761 block c/w, 0.0367 rad c/w
12.7mm (1/2) barbed = 6.35LPM, 0.0760 block c/w, 0.0366 rad c/w

9.6mm (3/8) barbed = 49.25C
9.6mm (3/8) quick fit = 49.04C
11.1mm (7/16) barbed = 49.01C
12.7mm (1/2) barbed = 49.00C

Personally, having used all three, the 7/16" is very nice. Fits GREAT over 1/2" barbs so not much clamping is needed. However 3/8 is very nice because of its size. It is up to you, but I recommend 7/16"

but 1/1 inch tube is still cooler... even if its just by a little bit.

and then what happens if you use more tube in your loop than carthur did maybe it will be cooler again?

As the graph shows, when it comes down to it we're splitting hairs. So long as you keep your tubing short you're not going to see a huge difference in performance with a good pump, especially since blocks have been getting less restrictive on average (as compared to the Storm, White Water, TDX, etc).

Use what you think will work/fit best. If you don't have a lot of room, 3/8 is just fine. If you have plenty of room, 7/16 or 1/2 will both work equally well.

Back