• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor RMA Department, Your Experiences?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z0n3

I have a 200 gb drive I need to send in to Maxtor. Never sent one back to them before so I have no experience with their RMA department. The drive platters sound like they are not aligned anymore. Like they are on an angle or something. How likely am I to get the same drive back? There is some stuff on there I had not backed up elsewhere yet. Nothing terribly important but some info and chat logs I would hate to lose.

Also what is their turn around time?

I believe that Maxtor is part of Seagate, so it should be the same. I have personally never had to RMA a hard drive, as they have always outlasted the warranty for me.

Well seagate has treated me well before. Don't think I ever got the same drive back though.
I've RMA'ed quite a few drives. I've also bought more drives than the average person. Hopefully you will never have to RMA a drive but failures and DOAs do happen.

Things can happen, and I am sure that one day they will. The only reason that I prefer Seagate, is because I have heard nothing but good things about them. I did have some problems with WD drives failing right after the end of the warranty in the past, but I understand they have gotten a lot better. From what I have read, the WD drives are out performing Seagates, and are just as good if not better than Seagate with taking care of their customers. I have heard a lot of good things about Seagate RMA. You may ask them if there is a chance that you can get your same drive back.

Maxtor sucks. I had a drive to return, but unless their diagnostics software can find a problem and give you an error code, they won't take the drive back. I fought for a long time, and they finally agreed to take it back, but said they wouldn't do so for me in the future.

I never bought another Maxtor.

WD is much better... just enter serial number on web, get rma automatically, send in drive.

I agree, WD RMA is really good. Thats why I normally buy from them. This particular drive was bought with about 10 others like it for $20 a piece on a black friday staples deal a while back (2 years ago I think). The extreme cheapness made me buy them. This is the only drive to have problems thus far.

Yeah I have a few Maxtors I bought because they were very cheap. I don't buy them anymore though. I only buy WD. I avoid the IBM Deathstars at all costs.

usually most companies replace it and attempt to repair the product later. most are new hard drives with the "refurb" label on it.

I've had to RMA 1 Seagate hard drive and the experience was painless and pretty quick. I bought a new 500 gig Seagate from the Egg and didn't install it for a month or so after I received it and when I went to use it, it wouldn't even be detected in bios. I called them up and after explaining my troubleshooting steps they emailed me an RMA number right away. From receiving the RMA number to receiving the replacement drive was about 2 weeks. Since Seagate now owns Maxtor, I would imagine that the RMA service should be the same.

It could be that it's better now, it sucked when I did it about 2 years ago.

Maxtor sucks. I had a drive to return, but unless their diagnostics software can find a problem and give you an error code, they won't take the drive back. I fought for a long time, and they finally agreed to take it back, but said they wouldn't do so for me in the future.

I never bought another Maxtor.

WD is much better... just enter serial number on web, get rma automatically, send in drive.

i had a similiar experience with maxtor years ago.a clients hdd had bad sectors but they refused to replace the drive despite their diagnosis software recognizing the issue.they said the drive was fine other than the bad sectors...lol.they were firmly placed on my blacklist after that ridiculous statement.

Back