• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never doing business with Musician's Friend again!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I know this isn't computer related, but I figured there are enough musicians here that it might be worth letting them know. I ordered a new cord and bass amplifier on 12/31/07. Everything had said in stock and ready to ship. I figured this would be a smooth transaction since the musicians that I know have always told me they were a great company to deal with. About 2 days after my order (I understand this part with the New Year holiday) I receive an email stating the amplifier was on back order. Not a big deal, but when I check the website, it was stating it was discontinued. I sent an email to customer service to find out whether or not I was going to get the amp I paid for. I got no reply. A few days later, I decided to check again, to find out that it says it had been shipped. I was relieved at the time, thinking there wouldn't be any other problems. I waited a couple days, hoping to get a tracking number emailed to me. No email. I called and was given the tracking number over the phone, checked it, and since the cord got shipped by USPS I was not able to really track it. I made it a point to come home early from work on the delivery date, so that I could meet the UPS man so that I could receive the amp. The amp and cord both arrived on the same day, about 2 weeks after the order was placed. I wasn't too bothered by the slow shipping, as it was only a practice amp, and I wasn't waiting on it for a show or anything. About 4 days ago, I receive a letter by snail mail, saying something about a Payment Decline/Chargeback Notification. I thought, might be a little glitch in the system. I tried calling to straighten this matter out, only to find the case manager was out of the office, and wouldn't be back in til the next day, which I had to work late on. The person that I spoke with on the phone told me that there was nothing she could do, except to transfer me to the person who was not there. I started checking my bank statements, and they show all charges that I had with Musician's Friend being paid. It looks to me like they are trying to double charge me for the amplifier. This is not the kind of company that I want to do business with, and I really don't want to see anyone here have the same happen to them.

could be your account was "authorized" for the funds but not taken, but your bank shows it as taken, contact your bank to confirm infact it was deducted and gone, and not simply on hold, my bank wouldnt let go of authorized funds until i contact them about it (most bank give it back after about 48 hours)

either way if they do try to charge again, kleep the snal mail and show your bank to prove it was paid for.

Hmm was thinking of ordering from them since Zzounds charges tax in my state, but I guess I'll see how this turns out.

could be your account was "authorized" for the funds but not taken, but your bank shows it as taken, contact your bank to confirm infact it was deducted and gone, and not simply on hold, my bank wouldnt let go of authorized funds until i contact them about it (most bank give it back after about 48 hours)

either way if they do try to charge again, kleep the snal mail and show your bank to prove it was paid for.

That's likely what happened. Musician's Friend does not want to double charge you, it's just a glitch and may not even be their fault. Who's your bank? Maybe we should add them to the list of 'never to do business with again'.

BTW, as a musician myself, I've ordered several things from them and bought several things at their retail division (Guitar Center) over the years. I have found they are one of the better reseller and retail stores around for any type of equipment.

They are Guitar Center? I thought that Guitar Center had their own online store. I do notice that a lot of these places sell the same thing at the same price and whenever one of them changes price, they usually all change.

They are Guitar Center? I thought that Guitar Center had their own online store. I do notice that a lot of these places sell the same thing at the same price and whenever one of them changes price, they usually all change.

All the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Center

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musician's_Friend

That's why a lot of the time I buy my gear at Guitar Center, so I can bring it back locally, or have them order it and I pick it up later (again, so I can return it locally if needed). Always the same pricing in store as online, if the product is available in store. I lucked out recently when the bass I bought had intonation issues and I was able to bring it back to GC and get an exact replacement the next day. No such luck when ordering online, and I would have paid return postage.

I miss Mars Music, but Guitar Center has been doing fine for me and they offer nearly identical products at the same price mark.

Last edited:
Back