• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CompUSA Power Supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

Does anyone here have any experience with CompUSA's power supplies? I just bought a case
http://www.a-top.com/900/900.html
that happens to be big enough for my needs with a slide out mobo tray, and it came with a cheapo 300W PSU (which was offered SEPARATE from the case, I might add. I couldn't buy the case without it.). This PSU has no manufacturer label and is as light as a feather. I wouldn't trust it to crush an ant with. I was planning to get a better PSU anyway, and I happened over to my local CompUSA and found they sell a 500W PSU for $80. It is branded with CompUSA labeling all over the thing, so I don't know who (if anyone) makes it for them. I like the idea of it being a retail store item, because I probably can get a salesperson to let me plug it in and test it with a multimeter before I buy and if I have any problems later, it shouldn't be too hard to get it replaced/refund.

If any of you have some thoughts or input, I'd appreciate it!
TIA

I had a 300Watt compusa psu that fried on me in less than 1 year. I don't think that they are much better than generic.

I think they sell some Antec psu's there, I would go with that, if you have to get it at compusa...I bet a 400 Antec is better than a compusa 500...

I've had a couple of 300W and 400W from them that came with cases I bought. One 300W I bought outright for an older system I no longer use.

In short, they are junk and not worth the money. I saw the 550W you mentioned and it intrigued me but I would almost bet my life it's junk too.

If I had to get a PSU from there, I'd agree with flounder and get an Antec which they do carry. You'll just pay too much for it.

Back