• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best watercooling ever!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

This machine is a two stroke , air cooled (you can hear it, and its allso too lightweight for water cooling the engine)
its allso pneaumatic (you can see it with how it moves) so needs no hydraulic cooling.

But whats this? see the radiator on top? boy does that look familiar!
nothing would need cooling but the computer.

we all just ate it thanks to 10 million and darpa.

think of the computing power on that thing that has to be cooled.

http://gizmodo.com/368651/new-video-of-bigdog-quadruped-robot-is-so-stunning-its-spooky

watch they can kick it and it dosnt fall over!!!

and see how you can hear the fans when its running off the cord.
thats alot of computing.

Last edited:
It's not a toy, funding is provided by the DoD(Department of Defense) This is a weapon(potentially), at least that's the intent.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is the central research and development organization for the Department of Defense (DoD). It manages and directs selected basic and applied research and development projects for DoD, and pursues research and technology where risk and payoff are both very high and where success may provide dramatic advances for traditional military roles and missions.

Kinda scary if you really think about the possibilities and how close the realities of those possible applications are.

i feel so sorry for that thing when it gets kicked and slips on ice.

but yes that thing is wicked sick.

edit: @ OldSkool

You're just being a stick in the mud.

I worked at a company that contracted for DOD, Army, etc. They made all KINDS of cool crap. I can already see how one of the things we made could significantly help that beast, actually.

You can't tell me those guys aren't having a blast with that critter. It IS a 10 million dollar toy, no matter how you slice it. And yes, if it was loaded with guns n crap, it would still be a toy, just a toy for bigger boys LOL

I would just love to see how my dogs behaved around that thing LMAO

Oh by now means am I saying it isn't probably one of the coolest things ever and I'd trade some somewhat vital organs for the chance to play with it, It's just that at some point, you have to look at it for what it was meant to be. It's a seriously cool advance in robotics tho, no doubt.

You can't tell me those guys aren't having a blast with that critter. It IS a 10 million dollar toy, no matter how you slice it. And yes, if it was loaded with guns n crap, it would still be a toy, just a toy for bigger boys LOL

Thats exactly what I meant.

A toy to the creators/designers

Ok I concur there, yes it will most likely be a very confusing weapon to the first few enemy targets that run into it haha. But while the innocence of it is still fresh, I want to see it as purely a childhood dream:santa:

my companies lasers were sampled for use by the DoD. Too bad they didnt get to end up on one of those critters. :(

my companies lasers were sampled for use by the DoD. Too bad they didnt get to end up on one of those critters. :(

Yet that is, we just need to make an atat, and then we can use them lasers :p

Man, if a real live AT-AT were made, all the DoD would need to do for recruitment is have free movies days/nights with Star Wars Ep 6. I can just picture it:

When everyones walking out the theater, there will be the recruiters standing next to a big sign with the real live AT-AT pictured on it with the slogan: "Live the Movie" :beer:

This machine is a two stroke , air cooled (you can hear it, and its allso too lightweight for water cooling the engine)
its allso pneaumatic (you can see it with how it moves) so needs no hydraulic cooling.

But whats this? see the radiator on top? boy does that look familiar!
nothing would need cooling but the computer.

we all just ate it thanks to 10 million and darpa.

think of the computing power on that thing that has to be cooled.

http://gizmodo.com/368651/new-video-of-bigdog-quadruped-robot-is-so-stunning-its-spooky

watch they can kick it and it dosnt fall over!!!

and see how you can hear the fans when its running off the cord.
thats alot of computing.
That was really kick arse,and I was

actually on the first darpa team with Paul Grayson but his project never really took off and its in its forth year now.

oh god that is creepy, if i saw that in the forest i would shoot it

What if it was armed and had sound detection for shots onboard? Then it hunted you down. :D

I wondered the whole time watching the video.
What are the electronics like in it? How long did it take to program it. Not just how do the legs work.

This would be very cool if it can be lightened up and used for exploration of other planets and such.

thats because they're going on sharks foreheads :drool:

What if it was armed and had sound detection for shots onboard? Then it hunted you down. :D

I wondered the whole time watching the video.
What are the electronics like in it? How long did it take to program it. Not just how do the legs work.

This would be very cool if it can be lightened up and used for exploration of other planets and such.

and yeah, i thought that too it must have taken a while for them to program it to balance and compensate if pushed.

but why the radiators? (can be seen in the slow-mo-ice-stumble) why watercool the computers?

if its a two stroke air cooled engine, and no hydraulic fluid needs cooling why not air cool the computers?

i mean it has to be one of the best examples of watercooling ive ever seen and has put what most of us have done to shame.

but you wonder why simple reliable air cooling (or even passive cooling) wasnt used?

That thing could have a lot of heat dump. The radiators might serve for more than one system on it.

I would imagine they used watercooling to allow easier cooling of the computer components with them being on the same frame as the two stroke engine so there has got to be a bit of heat there.

That thing could have a lot of heat dump. The radiators might serve for more than one system on it.

its just a mechanical horse. how hard could it be?

a few computers, a few gyroscopes, an engine, an air compressor?

ohh, maybe the air compressors... but that would be oil cooled now - if i had to guess... but most of those are air cooled just like a 2 stroke.... it would be pretty rare to oil cool it.

i really wonder.

note you couldnt combine the computer cooling with anything else.
engines and pumps run way hotter than electronics.

Back