• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copper tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boorishid

anyone here ever try to replace there hosing with some copper tubing? did you see a temp drop?

I believe someone has. It would be difficult to work with (not flexible, you have to solder joints, etc). There won't be any temp differenece since they is very little surface area.

I have been tempted by this as well. Not sure how much of a temp drop you'd see, but you can route it all kinds of ways in the case, which looks awesome IMO.

Jesus I just got a sweet idea. I might run by lowes tomorrow....

well i thought youd have to weld all the joints too wich was a turn off, ive been working on a home made still using alot of copper tubing, turns out your can just buy compression fitting for the stuff.

Voights does it.
Look at his custom wood watercooled case thread...the copper piping isn't in place yet but should be soon.

Posh ******* even paints the tubing...plain copper isn't good enough, oh no, must match the wood, oh yes.

well what im thinking is the tubing should prove slighly better when used externally, i have my pump res and rad sitting on my desk, byt as soon as you enter the case with this copper is it acually going to perform worse and tranfer the heat of the system temp into the water?

Copper shouldnt make a difference if you have temps coming out of the radiator at above ambient, because then there will be a minor change as it goes through the piping. I seriously doubt it will be even one degree, unless the water is really hot coming out of the rad, at which time you should go with a bigger rad/bigger fans. If you like the copper for aesthetic reasons, then there really shouldnt be a problem with it if you know what youre doing.

One thing to look out for is aluminum in your system (waterblock, pipe fitting, pump, radiator, ect.) because copper + aluminum + antifreeze = diy battery

One thing to look out for is aluminum in your system (waterblock, pipe fitting, pump, radiator, ect.) because copper + aluminum + antifreeze = diy battery

Uh no.
Antifreeze+corrosion is the pH buffer which prevents that.
Swiftech HydrX does exactly that and is just your typical car antifreeze+corrosion.

Voigts does it.
Look at his custom wood watercooled case thread...the copper piping isn't in place yet but should be soon.

Posh ******* even paints the tubing...plain copper isn't good enough, oh no, must match the wood, oh yes.

Now you know I wasn't going to just sit by and let this go. If you had your way, you probably would be the one to suggest that I somehow encase the tubing in wood putty and stain it. Hmmm, come to think of it, that just might be an idea...

You don't see any difference in temps using copper tubing. I have been going with copper mainly for aesthetic reasons as you can route it exactly where you want it to go. Also, if you have tight bends, you have zero stress on the barbs unlike with vinyl. I use soft, bendable copper with a pipe bender to minimize the use of fittings and avoid the straight, industrial look. The only place that I have found that copper isn't a good idea is with the pump inlet and outlet as it transmits too much pump vibration. For that I use vinyl. I also use vinyl to connect the copper to the block, rad, and res barbs. Screw in fittings are just too much hastle.

Here's a pic of my current setup.

side.jpg

Uh no.
Antifreeze+corrosion is the pH buffer which prevents that.
Swiftech HydrX does exactly that and is just your typical car antifreeze+corrosion.

Uh, yes, my bad, I meant to say that antifreeze prevents it, but as usual, I lurk on the internet at 4 in the morning, and mess things up :bang head:

Basically he slipped tube over pipe.

Right. I put a bit of tubing on the ends of the copper and then on the barbs. I used black tubing to match the copper so that it doesn't stand out. Trying to actually screw the copper pipes into blocks, etc. is way too much of a pain IMHO because you have to have the copper tubing aligned PERFECTLY.

Back