• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC rebuild and a question or two

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tat2monsta

i just got a 8800 gtx oc2 lastweek and yesterday i added it to my loop using a ek-fc8800 gtx.
it is on a loop with my cpu,no overclock to cpu at this stage
i have 2 delta type fans suckin the air through the rad from of my case. the fanes are under volted to keep the noise down.. they have been on the loop for over a year with my previous card (x1900xt)

reason for this thread (apart from showing my tidy rig) is.. my temps.
core on gpu on loop is about 46 unloaded. is this about right. i thought it would be closer to the high 30's. after ten mins of crysis i hit the mid 60's
now i know my loop is hitting heat from a cpu aswell. but this seems a little high. even my tubes are warm to the touch.

what you guys think... nothing to worry about,or maybe reseat my block?
the rig in question is the one in my sig

any other advice will be great. i am hoping to add another card later. but will be getting a bigger rad or adding another to the one i have.

couple piks note in rig picks there is a stream of bubbles coming out of the gpu.. it was worse. need to tilt rig to get the bubble out. could this by why im warm?
temp.jpg

load1.jpg

100_0946.jpg

100_0945.jpg

Something isn't right. You should reseat it, and check the thermal paste to make sure it had decent contact before.

On idle, my 8800GT (with overclocked cpu) is 35C.

edit: check flow too, and air in rad or something, because the tubes should not be warm.

Whole-card blocks are weak performance-wise. What did you use on x1900xt before ?

I used a whole-card cooler, covering everything on the card, passive for voltage regulator and it was like %100 default fan performance without the noise. 50c idle 74c load.

Now I use thermaltake's all copper brazing series GPU-only block and it's 35c idle and 41c load.

I guess the components on the card heats the whole block and water inside can't keep up.

Probably more has to do with surface area of the pins/fins and the way the water flows across it than anything else. If a CPU doesn't cook the card up to the 40s, then lowly mosfets and ram on a video card definitely won't.

will try get time to check the sitting of the block over the weekend.

as for my last setup.. i used a maze 4 and heatsinks on my x1900xt

maybe it is time for a bigger rad and that extra fan

i have 2 delta type fans suckin the air through the rad from of my case.

the fanes are under volted
It looks like all your fans are exhausting air out of the case. Is the blowhole fan in the top intake or exhaust? If so, they're just canceling out each other's airflow.

Put the rad fans back to 12v and see if that lowers your temps. If it does, then a bigger rad will help. If not, then you have some other problem. You could also change the rad fans to intake with the rear case fan and blowhole exhausting. That way you won't be sucking warm case air through the rad.

cheers for the replys.
as for the airflow. there isnt warm air going through the rad. as for the fans i will try on 12v but cant leave them on 12 as they are so loud.i think there 120cfm
pics are better than words
100_0945fan.jpg

Back