• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these is a better block for 8800GTS (g92)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Neither? Swiftech MCW-60R or Dtek FuZion GPU and a set of Iandh ramsinks and you're all set. A bonus is when you buy new vid cards down the road you'll more than likely be able to use your GPU blocks again, not likely with a full coverage. Also you'll get better performance not sharing heat between the GPU, memory, and Vregs. With a danger den IONE my memory tracked about 4°C behind the GPU temp. After adding a second card and changing to MCW-60s my GPU temp dropped about 2°C and now my memory hovers about 2-3°C above ambient. I went from barely stable at 680/985/1750 with the IONE to 735/1030/1875 on 2 cards rock solid with MCW-60s, and nothing else other than the GPU block changed in my system. Of course my water temp went up a little with the addition of another GPU, but overall it's a much happier system.

If you insist on a full coverage get the Ek

I have an older MCW-60 not the R version I dont think. Is there any advantage to the R version? I also have IandH Ramsinks, the problem ive found already is that they get so hot! To hot to even try to touch, I mean like burn the sh** outta your finger hot! And this is without overclocking yet. So now I have a 120 mm fan blowing over the ramsinks, just to keep them cool.

I thought the full block would be better :(

The only things the R version has is it comes with the G80 adapter plate (which we don't need) and instead of having the spring loaded screws from the front that go into the back plate it has "legs" on the front, and you put the screws in from the back. I have an old one on one block and a new one on the other and they are the exact same temp.

The problem with the full block is that there is heat coming from the Vregs and the Memory that gets shared with the GPU heat as well. The memory doesn't put out a whole lot so it suffers because the heat from the Vregs has to go across the memory to get to the water. Also the GPU puts out enough heat that it dumps some of that heat towards the memory, so the poor memory gets shafted from both sides, and then the heat from the vreg and memory share a little with the core. I expected better performance from a full coverage as well but wasn't happy with my temps from the DD block so I broke out my old MCW-60 and some cheap ramsinks and was shocked at the difference.

Which part of the iandh sinks gets hot? If it's the vreg part it doesn't matter, voltage regs are hot by nature and designed to run like that. If it's the memory, thats odd, they usually don't run that hot.

I have both the Swiftech and the EK blocks. I prefer the EK blocks. The Swiftech blocks did offer about 1C-2C better temps but with my current setup(EK Blocks) I idle at about 38C and full load hit only about 45C. That is with my cards at 675/1100.

with my current setup of the mcw-60 and the IandH sinks, GPU-z shows the core at 23.8c and ntune shows it at 31c which is right?

Back