• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory doesn't like being overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Comit

I got 384 MB PC133 RAM - one 128 and one 256. Currently, the FSB is at 100 mhz, the CPU is an Athlon 1.3 ghz/100 mhz, and the DRAM only goes at 100 mhz, since it can't go faster than the CPU. When I overclock the FSB at all, the speed of the RAM takes a dive, according to the benchmark. Is this normal? The RAM slowing down is the only noticable problem so far.

From what I read a lot of people advice on trying one stick of memory that you get better results.

What kind of memory do you have. A lot of people suggest Crucial, Corsair , Mushkin, etc.

Do you have any options in your bios for mem timings... if you do then make sure you set them yourself instead of by spd... if the mem is cas2 upto 100 then at 101 or 102 it will go to cas3... just my thoughts:p

lol I can tell you who made any other part of my computer except the RAM :eek: Although I think I saw a program out there once that tells you the manufacturer of your RAM...

As for the speed in the BIOS, the only option I got is 100 mhz and 133 mhz. It's at 100 mhz now, and won't boot at 133 mhz. My theory is that the FSB needs to be 133 mhz before I can do that. I would just change the FSB jumper and lower the multiplier, but the pins on the other FSB jumper settings were removed :confused: and the BIOS will only let you go to 127 mhz max if the jumper is on 100mhz.

Back