• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg heads-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I waited a few hours before posting this as I don't want to do it when I'm upset. And I did resolve this to my satisfaction. However I decided to post this anyway because it may be a problem for other people here on the forum. Also, I'm going to keep using Newegg, because for the most part I'm satisfied with their service and prices. I'd also really rather not see anybody say "I"m not buying from Newegg" because of this post.

Background. 6/15/07, I bought two sets of PC2-8500 Crucial Ballistix. (4x1GB). For the most part I didn't have any problems with them until around late January of this year, when one set of them died. (Ok, some problems may have been related, but I couldn't say for sure it was the RAM). I RMA the one set in mid-Feb and get replacements. They are the single side version, but they worked ok. Then, early March, the other set dies. Oh well, I RMA them. While I'm waiting for them to come back, the singled sided replacement set starts to go. Massive memtest errors at every speed I try. So I decide I'll RMA these as well, as I have a year on the Newegg warranty. After a few days I finally find all the retail packaging and try to start an RMA for it. The Newegg site won't let me. Huh? Ok, time to chat with a rep.

This is what I got:

Code:
info: Please wait while we connect you to a Newegg representative.
info: Thank you for contacting Newegg. My name is Julie. How may I assist you today?
Julie: Hi! Thanks for contacting us. How can I help you today?
Torin3 I purchased a set of Crucial Ballistix that went bad and I had to RMA them. The replacement set has also gone bad, but I'm not able to use the automated system to RMA them. Inv #3302XXXX Order #2616XXXX
Julie: Let me take a look into that. One moment please . . .
Julie: Thank you for your patience...
Torin3 No problem.
Julie: I'm sorry you are out of our warranty time frame and would need to go through the manufacture.  They can be reached at  1-800-336-8915.
Torin3 Just second please
Julie: Sure.  No problem.
Julie: Do you have any other questions, or is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Torin3 I'm looking something up, and the new interface on your site is making it take a little while longer.
Torin3 Ok, this is what the return policy said for the original purchase:
Torin3 Return for refund within: 30 days Return for replacement within: 1 year
Torin3 It is dated 6/15/07. Why is this out of warranty time?
Julie: No, I'm sorry.  For this item it is
Julie: Return for refund within: 30 days
Julie: Return for replacement within: 90 days
Torin3 That is not what my invoice says: Here it is on your site:
Torin3 Order #:8022XXXX Invoice #:2651XXXX Submitted:6/15/2007 6:49:49 AM
Torin3 The original RMA was done in feburary, which is well beyond 90 days from 6/15/07
Julie: I'm sorry but this item is only warrantee for 90 days.
Julie: Our system will not let us create a RMA for this item due to it being out of the 90 days.
Torin3 Did your policys change in the last 45 days?
Julie: No, that is the standard policy for this item.
Torin3 Would you like me to email you the invoice I'm looking at from your site that shows it listing the standard invoice policy as being return for replacment within: 1 year?
Torin3 For this item!
Julie: Please review the link below.  Scroll down please click on the tab that says return & rebates.
Julie: Please click here
Julie: Return Policies
Julie: This item is covered by Newegg.com's Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy.
Julie: Return for refund within: 30 days
Julie: Return for replacement within: 90 days
Torin3 That may be what it is now, but when I purchased them, it was 1 year.
Torin3 Are you saying you retroactively change the return policy?
Julie: The return policy has not been changed.
Torin3 Then why, when I pull up the invoice *today* for the original purchase, does it say the standard return policy for this item is 1 year?
Julie: Please give me a moment.
Torin3 And why was I able to do an RMA on the original purchase 8 months after I purchased it?
Julie: Can you please give me a moment.
Julie: Thanks for waiting. I'm actually still looking into this........one more moment please.
Torin3 No problem.
Julie: I have confirmed with my supervisor for this item there is only a 90 day warranty for this item.  The 1 year replacement you are referring to is our standard warranty for some items.  Please note we also state on our site under Memory Return Policy   Return for refund within: 30 days Return for replacement within: 90 days
Julie: As a courtesy I would be more than happy to offer you $20 off another set of memory.
Torin3 Last week I was able to RMA the other set of RAM that I had purchased from you. That is 9 months out. It is still in transit from the NJ warehouse.
Torin3 This is the Invoice and Order# Inv #3410XXXX Order #2688XXXX
Julie: May I have the RMA# you are referring to?
Torin3 RMA #2169XXXX (Replace)
Julie: I have got it approved by my supervisor to accept the item back. Your RMA# is 2950XXXX. I have also sent you a email confirmation. You will be receiving a prepaid shipping label via email within the hour.
Torin3 Thank you very much.
Julie: You're welcome.
Julie: Do you have any other questions, or is there anything else I can
assist you with today?
Torin3 Nope, that was it. I've confirmed that the email has been recieved.
Torin3 Thank you.
Julie: Thank you for contacting us. I hope you have an Eggcellent day!

So pretty much until I was able to prove I had an RMA in the system with parts coming to me 6 months after they said my return for replacement time was over, they weren't willing to belive me. The frustrating part is I had the invoice from their site right up on the screen in front of me! :bang head

Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this up is that other people who have RMAs that they need that are over 90 days, but good for a year may have a problem getting it processed. I suspect that the updated on their site that changed the format again a week ago is part of the reason it got screwed up. Because before it changed, I had no problem with a 9 month old RMA, but a week and a half later, it was like talking to somebody from Stepford.

I hope they get it sorted out.

I have spent alot of money with newegg lately (over 2grand)and recieved DOA cpu's and boards, and some boards bad within a week. I bought a 5000+ BE that doesn't include a fan, but couldn't find it on the site without a fan, no biggie it was DOA anyway. Never had a problem so far, but getting frustrated as my 8 pc network isn't complete yet because of this.

Torin, sorry to hear of your troubles. :(

I would call them up and have that escalated. I know that you have the problem resolved, but other people might not be so fortunate!

To get it resolved quickly, contact our "in-house" NewEgg representative :)

http://www.ocforums.com/member.php?u=58970

Torin, sorry to hear of your troubles. :(

Could be worse. The most annoying part of it was sitting there being told it was always 90 days when I had another window open saying it was 1 year from when I bought it

[/QUOTE]I would call them up and have that escalated. I know that you have the problem resolved, but other people might not be so fortunate!

To get it resolved quickly, contact our "in-house" NewEgg representative :)

http://www.ocforums.com/member.php?u=58970[/QUOTE]

Yep, I definately would have called had I not been able to resolve it online. And if the call didn't work, the rep here is good. At the end of it, if I still wasn't able to do it, I would have posted my experience here and RMA'd them through Crucial. Of course they have been sitting on the dock since yesterday (I know it is probably not still sitting there, but it hasn't progressed beyond stage one).

I did try and be polite if somewhat firm.

If there is one thing I have learned when dealing with Newegg it is that you should ALWAYS call them instead of email or live chat when it comes to an RMA or something like that. So much easier to make yourself understood and to get things resolved quicker with no misunderstandings. While live chat seems very similar for some reason there is just a lot more potential for misunderstandings.

I have had issues where in email or chat the rep doesn't seem to get what I am saying, so I place a call instead and tell them what the deal is and it has always been resolved quickly that way.

Just my experience. Hope it helps out.

I have a question. Since you bought crucial sticks thru Newegg, do they still come with the lifetime Crucial warranty? Because Crucial's warranty process is very very good.

I've never bothered with chat, I always call. I anticipate situations like above with chat, so I choose the next best thing from face-to-face, which is a call.

wow you handled yourself great I would have called her a moron and tell her to get me someone else

why not use crucial rma? Fast,Easy,quick. Cross Ship oh and did I speak "RAM GUY!!!"

I can not believe they pulled, or tried to pull something like that!!

I am ...... discusted by it.

You did a very nice job of handling the situation. :thup:

If they are going to change it, it needs to be done outright and not
something "slid in" while no one is looking.

I have a question. Since you bought crucial sticks thru Newegg, do they still come with the lifetime Crucial warranty? Because Crucial's warranty process is very very good.

Yes they come with the lifetime warranty.

why not use crucial rma? Fast,Easy,quick. Cross Ship oh and did I speak "RAM GUY!!!"

I've had good experiences with the Newegg RMA process before, which was why I started it with these. If they had said that they changed their policy, I would have been fine with it. However they were telling me not only that the policy hadn't been change, but it had always been that way, which bothered me.

I can not believe they pulled, or tried to pull something like that!!

I am ...... discusted by it.

You did a very nice job of handling the situation. :thup:

If they are going to change it, it needs to be done outright and not
something "slid in" while no one is looking.

Yep. I'm ok if they have to change their policy, but not changing it on the sly. On the other hand, I may have gotten a new employee who didn't know their history.

Also, I've used the chat before to good success, and it is easier for me to use at work than calling.

Back