• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Water Blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what i gather there is no real benefit from liquid cooling your ram. It will make them cooler and more over-clockable, but its not really worth the money or restriction on the rest of your loop. Stick with the fans.

To start, there has been more problems with WC ram than not. It ruins flow rate. It adds cost. Some types leak. Once you read these types of forums for a while (years) you see what others have gone through. Very little gains.

IF you have hot ram, it's failing because of the hot ram only, then you might even glance to WCing your ram. A good ram with built-in heatsinks and a effective case flow or some fan solution is plenty.

Stay away from all Koolance, PLEASE.

Thats a good, rather popular fan solution. There is one less noisy and well reviewed, can't remember what it is.

To start, there has been more problems with WC ram than not. It ruins flow rate. It adds cost. Some types leak. Once you read these types of forums for a while (years) you see what others have gone through. Very little gains.

IF you have hot ram, it's failing because of the hot ram only, then you might even glance to WCing your ram. A good ram with built-in heatsinks and a effective case flow or some fan solution is plenty.

Stay away from all Koolance, PLEASE.

Thats a good, rather popular fan solution. There is one less noisy and well reviewed, can't remember what it is.

Thanks for the info.
I have been taking a look at Corsair CMXAF1 Fans and CoolIT RAM Fan to compare them with each other.

So, I decided to go with the Corsair RAM Fans.

I believe so...bought the board and cpu from ancalime and I just put the 2x2gb gskill pc800 I bought from cw823 in. it was freezing up until I added the socket 370 fan. I don't exactly know what they're clocked to...I'm sure I can check with cpuz but haven't tried since putting the socket 370 fan on them. This is the first time I've had to put any type of active cooling on my ram. But if I don't they get super hot even with the heatspreaders.

Generally if you run your ram @ 2.1V or more, you definately want good air cooling to support it and maybe even custom heatsinks for your ram if you are putting 2.2V or 2.3V into them. My first pair of DDR2 only took about 1.9V for a semi decent overclock, they didn't need their own active cooling solution, case flow was fine.

I would stay away from going over 2.2V though.

(that is for DDR2, I don't know much about DDR3 yet)

There are a lot of different memory coolers out there, just get one of those or point a fan at your ram.

I tried out the Koolance RAM coolers for awhile, definitely not worth it, pick up one of the many air cooling solutions or fashion one yourself if you're worried about RAM temps.

Back