• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What liquid should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt612346

Registered
i pretty much have everything picked out but the liquid i want to use.

pretty much i want a red dye to go along with all the red in my case, so what is good to mix with what and how much should i mix with it(like what %) and does it matter what kind of dye i get?

price doesn't matter!

thanks!

Distilled no questions asked. I had a drastic improvement when I switched from PCIce (which was good with look, protection, and anti-growth so I'm not basking them).

Straight distilled water, no additives?

If thats what your using, you think thats safe for me? I'll be using a Apogee GTX block

alright i'm going to see how distilled water/Long Life Red Coolant Additive(from petras)/water-wetter work.

all have good reviews will let you guys know next week how it turns out :)

Looks like that Long Life Red is nothing more than the Toyota red anti-freeze. If you use an anti-freeze, there is no need for the water wetter.

Or FeserOne coolant, which has gotten lower temps than distilled according to Bit-tech. I can let you know about that next weekend.

Or FeserOne coolant, which has gotten lower temps than distilled according to Bit-tech. I can let you know about that next weekend.

I believe the MSDS for that has already been looked up and it is basically antifreeze and water. There is no way that it will outperform water-its called science.

Stay away from dyes in general. If you want red, go to a Toyota dealer and spend <$20 on their antifreeze. It is pure undiluted Pentosin red. I use about 10% to give the water a nice red tint, and also use a couple of drops of fish aquarium algaecide, and 6-7 drops of alcohol-free povidone iodine. This mix is simple, will give you the color you want, and will ensure that you have NO growth. Pentosin is the best antifreeze to use and has been proven and tested. I have been using a 10% mix for over a year and it works fine.

You don't want to go stronger on the antifreeze as it will to some degree diminish the water's effectiveness, and 10% antifreeze won't do a thing to inhibit growth.

Been using distilled water with 15% Peak antifreeze/coolant for years, never had any problems with anything growing in my lines. I tried that waterwetter crap and it was horrible.

Could the algae growth be a problem in the climate you live in? I never had a problem with stuff growing in my tubing even after 1 whole year.

Been using distilled water with 15% Peak antifreeze/coolant for years, never had any problems with anything growing in my lines. I tried that waterwetter crap and it was horrible.

Could the algae growth be a problem in the climate you live in? I never had a problem with stuff growing in my tubing even after 1 whole year.

WW sucked real good for me too. It stained 3603 halfway through the wall and stunk like hell when I drained it. I'm using FluidXP ultra, which supposedly blocks scaling, with Tygon 2075 right now. After 3-months everything is still like glass. Be advised though, 2075 is VERY stiff tubing.

I've always had good luck with Water Wetter and distilled, I only run enough water wetter to foam up the system when first running (probably on the order of 3-4 capfuls). It does dye the tubing slightly but I'm not real concerned about it. Never had growth problems either.

Straight Distilled water with a bit of Iodine or antifreeze or algaecide, whatever you prefer, does as well if not better than all those fancy Expensive coolants IMHO and from past experience. Definetly alot cheaper and very easy to get. Your call tho.....

cool this was really helpful for me thanks guys for adding your comments :)

i already have my case/powersupply, i get all my computer hardware tuesday and wednesday i get all my water cooling hardware, can't wait!

Back