• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Start my WC Project, Need 8800GTS Block Advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phil178821

my current rig:

E6600
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 rev1 Mobo
4x1 GB DDR2 OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 800Mhz
1x120Gb, 2x160GB HDDs
EVGA 8800GTS **640MB** (not G29)
Xtremegamer Sound Card
Lian Li PC61 Case

I just purchase (and are waiting on receipt) of the following:

DD MC-TDX CPU Block
Thermochill 120.3 Pa
Shround
Gasket
Swiftech MCW30
DD Delrin Fill port
Swiftech MCP665 12V pump
RadBox
EK Barbs

20 Clamps
12 ft tygon
Swiftech Hydrx additive
DD Delrin Acetal T + DD barbs
4xYate Loon Medium Fans

Now I am trying to decide what to do for my 8800..

I have narrowed my choices down to the following (if i am missing one you recommend, let me know)
the Danger Den DD-8800GTS
the EK FC8800GTS
and the Swiftech MCW60.

pricing does vary (in order) from $130 to $90 down to $70 (with ram etc sinks)
I am not sure how accurate it is, but MArtin's Flow Estimator rate DD the highest, with the Swiftech nearby, and the EK pretty far below.
what do you all recommend? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi phil178821, :welcome: to OC Forums. :)

This should have been posted in the watercooling section of the cooling forums, so I will move it there for you. :)

mudd

Danger Den DD-8800GTS, hands down. You ALWAYS will be better off with full coverage blocks. I've never had a problem with DD, their stuff is top notch IMO.

The MCW60 is a good block too, but then you have to rig up a fan anyways to cool the ram and the regs.

thanks for the input. the DD was where I was aiming. the price is a little harsh though. but i guess you pay for the best, right?

also, thanks for the move, didn't realize there was a watercooling subcategory until after I started the thread.

DD is junk compared to the EK blocks trust me. I have installed the DD blocks and won't use one myself. I own the swiftech block and it gives me better temps than my EK blocks but I prefer the full cover blocks because they look better.. LOL.. I will sacrafice 1C-2C for the looks and ease of setup.

this is my first venture into water cooling and from past research and reviews, I have always leaned towards danger den. even when performance wasnt always #1, i knew product quality was.

i have gone through MArtin's Flow Estimator Excel sheet and I wonder how close to the actual it really is. gpm wise, the DD block was in the lead, the swiftech was close behind, and the EK was far below. should this hold weight in my decision?

in a few reviews i read, under load, the EK and swiftech were comparable, why the DD was higher by about 5 degrees.

this is my first venture into water cooling and from past research and reviews, I have always leaned towards danger den. even when performance wasnt always #1, i knew product quality was.

i have gone through MArtin's Flow Estimator Excel sheet and I wonder how close to the actual it really is. gpm wise, the DD block was in the lead, the swiftech was close behind, and the EK was far below. should this hold weight in my decision?

in a few reviews i read, under load, the EK and swiftech were comparable, why the DD was higher by about 5 degrees.

Well quality wise holding the EK in your hand and the DD you can feel the difference. The EK and Swiftech will cool the card better in most every comparison I have seen by at least 5C so yes that should weigh in on your decision because you don't want to buy an inferior product. If you want the best performing water block get the Swiftech(Non full cover) and Ramsinks. If you want an all in one block that is top notch and only off from the Swiftech by a degree or so get the EK block. I highly recommend the EK full cover blocks because they perform great and look very nice while doing it. While results will vary depending on your equipment and the ambient temps where you live here is what I get with my cards running at 691/1619/2200 according to Riva tuner 36C idle temps and 44C after %100 loading them for several hours. It is very hot in my office :( Before the WC they use to run at 80C without any OC.. Ouch

i have the DD full blocks on my 8800gts's and there awesome. both my cards idle around 32-34C an barley reach the 40's during load.

ah decisions. factoring in price, performance, and style, i think the EK is the winner. I just still have my worries about how much it limits water flow. any ideas on that?

also, where the heck can you find a EK these days. I see one left in stock at NCIXUS, but the warehouse being from Canada, shipping will cost me ~$20. check jab, checked petras, checked sidewinder.. where else?

also, the swiftech is by far the best performer, and I think i kinda liek the look of all the tiny sinks on the card.. plus it will shave me like $70usd.
will you lose ram overlcock having only those tiny sinks on it (in the swiftech situtation)?

Last edited:
:bang headi think i am goin to go to the Swiftech..

my reason is:
1) the DD block's price cannot be justified by its performance
2) If i spend time trying to find the EK block, i will have already built my loop and have to drain and refill it to set the block.. big pain..
3)swiftech has the best numbers and i dont mind the mini sinks look.

am i foolish? lol

well, i bought my BFG 8800GTS with the waterblocks already. but, my past system i used a gpu block with ramsinks on my 7900gtx and worked just fine, didnt hold back and temps where just as good as the full blocks.

yea;

I just purchased the MCW60, I could justifty paying twice the price for the other two...
this block doesnt contain any aluminum, right?

also, how do ya'll recommend attaching the ram and mosfet sinks? using the included tape? i currently one arctic ceramique and AS5.

looks like peeling off the tape and pressing down on each one for about a minute works.

If that doesn't,

leave them in iso. alcohol for a good minute then dry them off. Much stickier.

or take masking tape and repeatedly apply it to the ram chip. After about 30-40 times, of dabbing it on the chip, you will feel the masking tape start to stick. (The glue backing on the tape takes the silicon off the ram chip.) Once you feel the tape stick, you can apply the heat sinks and they will stick to ram chip.

or Artic Alumina or Silver. Both are basically a thermally conductive epoxy.

Last edited:
how do ya'll recommend attaching the ram and mosfet sinks? using the included tape? i currently one arctic ceramique and AS5.

You could use the included tape, but AS5 and a little thermal epoxy in each corner of the chips would work better, but is more permanent too.

Remember, you still need something blowing over those ramsinks.

I agree with Socket, the frag tape the ramsinks come with bites the big one. I used a tiny dab of superglue and ceramique on each one after lapping them flat (they aren't anywhere near flat out of the package). You'll be pleased with the MCW60, I've never seen over 39C on my G80 GTS.

Cleaning with Artic Cleaner works, try it first. Do it twice with the first cleaner.

And still try the stock HS pads. Push hard, push for a minute. If you can hold the card up by holding the HS it's on there.

I read somewhere warming the chips a bit with a hair dryer on Med it seats better.

I used a HD to remove my HS before I went full cover WB. can't hurt it.

Take your time. I had a great time over a weekend with a glass of Jack and ice while I just played around when I did my WC. No hurry. Not a job, a hobby.

Last edited:
thanks for all the pointers guys..

one last question. if the supplied thermal pads dont work for the ram and mosfet sinks, do you think using a dab of crazy glue will work, or is that too strong? crazy glue was all i was able to get my hands onto

What peeps do is put a small dab of TIM in the middle and a very tiny spot on two corners of the cooler and push like hell for a min or so. Not too hard to get off either they say, just a quick twist. You clean the chips properly, the TIM tape will hold.

Tonight I will start removing my Zalman 9700led on my e6600, my Thermalright HR-05 from my NB, and the stock cooler from my 8800GTS.

I am going to cclean with arctic clean and then add AS5 to the cpu, and Arctic Ceramique to the NB and GPU. for the ram sinks, I am going to give the included tape a try, if that fails, see if straight ceramique will do it like you described.

Thanks for all the input!:beer:

Back