• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Psu gone bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Resqme

Hi all, Well yesterday my 300 watt antec psu went bad . My computer would run for a little bit then would shut right down, was not sure what was going on. Open up the case and notice the psu was hot. The fan died on me yet it spins freely. Was wondering if it would be safe to try to put a new fan in it

Thanks

Resqme said:
Hi all, Well yesterday my 300 watt antec psu went bad . My computer would run for a little bit then would shut right down, was not sure what was going on. Open up the case and notice the psu was hot. The fan died on me yet it spins freely. Was wondering if it would be safe to try to put a new fan in it

Thanks
Yes ,you can replace the fan ...safe? well if you unplug it first you should be fine ;) ..I read something that said there are certain things inside that you should NOT TOUCH.. (not to sure about that)...But people mod PSU's all the time by adding extra fans... like everything else take caution when doing so and good luck...:)

Thanks i just took it apart and the fan plugs into a header pin.
so i have to belive that the header pin fried, if so i can tie into a hot and ground wire, but would that be safe, And what would cause the header pin to fry like that. Iknow its not a dust issue because it is very clean inside

Using those small "flea clip" type header pins for fan power never was a good idea to me. There is just too little guarantee that you will have adequate contact area between the male and female. As the contact area decreases, the remaining contact area gets hotter. The hotter it gets, the greater the loss and hence more heat. Once deterioration starts, it is on a vicious circle type spiral downward. I'm truly amazed more people don't report problems with this approach than I've seen. They sure are an "Achilles Heel" looking for an inopportune time to manifest. I realize the value of this approach when it coes time to replace a fan, versus having to solder and unsolder the wires, but you'd think there would be a better way to connect them. Perhaps a small terminal strip with screws, though they require a certain degree of motor skill.

73, Hoot

Hoot, So what your saying is that the power supply is probably good just the fan header is junk. and i should be safe to solder
to a hot and ground. Which i was thinking of splicing into a hot and ground wires that come out of the power supply

Thanks

Back