• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applying Thermal Grease...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Nice article, but as this relates to chips with an IHS, I'm curious... is the razor-blade/card method still the best for bare core chips (a la Athlon XP)?

Nice article, but as this relates to chips with an IHS, I'm curious... is the razor-blade/card method still the best for bare core chips (a la Athlon XP)?

You could always get a piece of glass and try it yourself - put some on, see how it spreads, if you get any bubbles etc.

Keep in mind, it isn't just about getting it spread over everything, thickness also has an impact. A couple pieces of glass will only tell you so much, in the end they don't have the same contact pressure, will bend a lot more than a chip or decent heatsink, and don't really tell you anything about thickness.

I'd be interesetd to see this same experement, on a cpu, with the results being the temperature.

Keep in mind, it isn't just about getting it spread over everything, thickness also has an impact. A couple pieces of glass will only tell you so much, in the end they don't have the same contact pressure, will bend a lot more than a chip or decent heatsink, and don't really tell you anything about thickness.

I'd be interesetd to see this same experement, on a cpu, with the results being the temperature.

You can actually clamp the glass and get a fairly high pressure, then mic the thickness. It can clamp down as far as the average particle size in the grease, which is what you would see on a mounted sink.

For accelerated testing we have been clamping an IHS sized piece of copper to a glass plate then thermally treating it in an oven and observing how different compounds degrade with pressure and temperature with interesting results.

Back