• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec PSU mod info needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
If i was going to try to up the 5v line on my antec 350w where whould i sodder the new resistor, and what size would i use?

Well with my current system configuration it was running at 4.83v. I shortened the ATX cable to try and raise it, and now it runs at 4.88v. With the higher voltage i can ALMOST get 1.4ghz stable, before it would only run for a few minutes, so if i can get the 5v up a bit higher it may go faster.

I dont know what to recomend on antec, people say there good, but...

The problem with simply readjusting the 5V output to accomodate voltage drop across the ATX connector is that the voltage drop will vary as a function of how much current you are drawing through that resistive junction. If you set the 5V output for adequate voltage under high load, it will soar, perhaps to a dangerous level, when the load goes down. If you set the +5V during idle, or low load, you will be okay, but depending upon the resistance in the ATX connector pin junctions, it may still fall under high load.

By parallelling an additional +5V conductor from the PSU directly to the regulator Mosfets, you can reduce the impact of the ATX connector contact resistance considerably. The wire of those parallel conductors still has some resistance, as does the solder joint where they attach to the Mosfets, but the resistance is miniscule compared to those in the ATX connector pins. Keep in mind that tenths of an ohm matter when you are passing 40A of current.

More info in this thread: http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51160

Good Luck, Hoot

Problem is with the 8K7A the mosfets are mounted verticaly, and they have heatsinks on them. Its nearly impossible to get to that pin to sodder to.

The tabs of the Mosfet are connected internally to the center pin. You can use the tab as a conductor also. I did not know that about the 8K7A. I thought all manufacturers soldered them to the board. You hang around here and you learn something new every day. :D

73, Hoot

im not sure that i follow you, on my board the mosfets are mounted perpindicular to the board so that the center pin is pointed directly at the board, and is nearly touching it. It looks like they may actually have the center pin soddered to the board. If thats the case then it souldnt touch anything eles right, and i may be able to sodder to the back of the board where the pin comes through. I dont think i want to try that though.

Lets see if this image comes through. This is a TO-220 "Tab Transistor" package. The "Tab" with the mounting hole in it is internally connected to the center of the three pins, which in the case of the MosFet is the equivalent to the Source function. If you can not access the center pin, you can use the "Tab" as the same electrical connection.

73, Hoot

Yah, i have one of thos on my board, but its down my the AGP slot. I dont think that the mosfets up by the CPU socket have the tab with the hole in it, but il check, maybe take the heatsink off of one.

Looks like thats what i have on my board, thanks hoot, i think il be doing some soddering soon:cool:

Back