• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wal Mart Story (Semi-Long)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

A few weeks ago I purchased Super Mario Brawl from Wal-mart. The other day, the game stopped loading my saves so I exchanged it.
(This is where the story starts)

Wal-mart exchanged it, but they opened the new game. The girl said "policy requires us to open the exchange to make sure the disc is inside" I asked her to repeat it and she said those exact words again. I was confused...to make sure the game is inside? Why was my original purchase not opened?

Now, I understand why they do it. People will return a game, get an unopened one and return it for cash/credit. Thus to open the exhange before giving me the one game. BUT I was upset, they lied to me

I asked to speak to a manager, I was not upset, I just hate being lied too. I told the manager to explain to me how his (Wal-Mart) policy makes sense. Needless to say...He could not.

I filed a complaint, they followed up and told me that is Wal-Mart policy and if I dont like, I can stop buying software from them.

Here is where the story gets better

I contacted Nintendo and explained to them what Wal-Mart was doing. There rep basically told me that by doing that wal-mart is violating there Terms. He said that by (us) the consumer opening the package, He apologised that he couldnt do anything about it but told me that they will look into this "policy" that requires them to open the new software.

I guess the good news is that I am not bound by the terms and conditions that nintendo set forth cause I didnt open the package.

That is awesome but I've never had Wal-Mart do that to me. I returned a game for the exact same one and walked right out the door with it. Hell now that I think of it, I've never had this done at any game store, super store, or any place that sells games. That's really weird. Personally, I'd say screw that and not let them open it and quote to them Nintendo's policy governing the opening of the package and how them opening your game is technically stealing and voiding your warranty from Nintendo. Now that should throw them for a loop and then some.

Now, I understand why they do it. People will return a game, get an unopened one and return it for cash/credit. Thus to open the exhange before giving me the one game. BUT I was upset, they lied to me

This makes no sense to me still. What benefit would that be to anyone?

As opposed to.........Walmart only sells new items, and to return an item to them means you would have bought it from them and paid full price....I'm still lost :shrug:

Do they give you less than what you paid for a slightly used return? That would be ridiculous imo.

As opposed to.........Walmart only sells new items, and to return an item to them means you would have to have paid full price....I'm still lost :shrug:
Once you open it, you can't return it....so if you have an unopened item...you CAN return it.

Rather, once you open the software you can only switch the game for another one. Basically you can't say Game A does not work, so I want to exchange it for Game B. They would just give you a new version of the game you already had.

If you never open the software, then you could return in and get store credit for something else or a refund.

Hmm that is weird. The Walmarts that I usually go to have never done this. Maybe only that store does it. I would never want them to open my game.

As opposed to.........Walmart only sells new items, and to return an item to them means you would have bought it from them and paid full price....I'm still lost :shrug:

Do they give you less than what you paid for a slightly used return? That would be ridiculous imo.

Walmart sells 'new' items. Most are brand new, but anything that has come back on a return in decent condition will head out on to the shelves. If it's not in decent condition, you may get a discount. Rarely do big box stores refuse returns, not matter what the condition (excluding software and disposable/personal items).

As far as I'm concerned, this practice is necessary. You return an open game, and you get back an open game. The value of an unopened game was lost when you first opened shrink wrap. The store has to protect themselves from loss from software returns and this is the best way to ensure that people aren't just buying software, ripping it to their HDD's and copying down serial numbers then returning it for a brand new package, then later returning that package for cash.

People do all sorts of underhanded things when it comes to returns.

Wow, I just defended walmart.

Screw Walmart, go to Target... Lol...

The Walmarts around here don't do that, you could go get a copy of Vista, just keep exchanging and take Serial keys with the stupid way they have it set up. It's semi-retarded...

I understand computer software, I would agree 100% on it. This is a video game console game which dont have any serial keys.

Btw if one wants to copy console video games, there is gamefly. (oh wait people already do that)

Did not read entire thread but tough SH!@. There is no way Nintendo will kick WM to the curb. WM has to be one of Nintendo's top 2 or 3 vendors........................

Walmart does not have to open the replacement game, just the one you return to check contents. As far as the replacement they have records of the exchange and they can track it so no reason to open the replacement. As for shrink wrap, those machines are in just about every store around but they can't fake the security tape.

Back