• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question about pots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rezman5

ummm...what are they??? what do they do??? can you show me a pic and tell me how to ajust them? My +5V line is at 4.68 and my +12V line is at 12.71. My -12V line is at -12.60 and my -5V line is at -5.29. How can I adjust these so they are closer to what they are supposed to be?

Thanks!

Pot is short for potentiometer, meaning a variable resistor. Rheostats are also variable resistors, but generally of greater wattage than a Pot. For controlling fan voltage, you are better off using a Rheostat. Most pots would burn up the first time you use them as a voltage controller. Here is a picture of the two. You can get Rheostats a lot cheaper than new at your local Electronics Surplus store or Electronics Recycle/Reclamation Center. Most metropolitan areas have one. If you can't find one yourself, ask a local Ham Radio Operator (preferably an older one).

73, Hoot

?

i cannot remember for certain if the container said rheostat or potentiometer (i bot micropots at the same time). it was in between the size of the 2 in the pic and contains a thin wire wrapped around an insulator w/ wiper touching it. rheo or pot? you be the judge

Got a digital camera or webcam?

If I recall right you bought it at radio shack check on their webby they always have pictures that come with it.

Re: ?

Kentucky Fried Bird said:
i cannot remember for certain if the container said rheostat or potentiometer (i bot micropots at the same time). it was in between the size of the 2 in the pic and contains a thin wire wrapped around an insulator w/ wiper touching it. rheo or pot? you be the judge

That sounds like a rheostat, but obviously one of inadequate wattage for the job you wanted it to do. I see in my RS catalong, they sell a 1.2 watt Rheostat. It looks like the only one they sell. 1.2W is not much power though. Small wonder it burned up.

73, Hoot

Back