• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mobo to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Both boards are good......you don't mention what CPU you will
be using, or what you might do in the future. I believe the choice
is yours, i don't think you can go wrong with either board.

BX board, Get a BX board
<shut up jay BX boards are old>
But they still outpreform 810, 815,820 and VIA boards
<go away jay you are becoming mad>
only if i talk to myslef in a post
<hey jay, this doesnt look good>
damb

Well I was thinking about the 1GHz celeron but now I think I'll wait until 1GHz tualatin celerons become avaible.

The only thing that puzzles me is why the ST6 "officially" supports tualatin 1.2 and the vh6-2 does not.

Anyway the ST6 costs about $20 more than the VH6-2 and I think it's not worth it. Also I already have 512MB of ram, so I prefer a 1.5GB limit to 512 MB.

Silver arrow:

I own both the VH6-II and ST6-R (Raid Version). I would recommend you go for ST6 (no raid) or even ST6-R (with raid). The ST6-R that I'm using now is running so much faster than the VH6-II.

For example, ST6-R took me only couple min to backup my HD by using GHOST, but the VH6-II would take 3 times longer.

Do not worry about the RAM limitation. I believe 512MB is good enough for you want for SDRAM.

Ohya, I've forgot to mention.

The ST6-R actually does a good job on overclocking. I successfully push my P3 1GHz to 165FSB (rock) with stock fan. But, the VH6-II only allowed me to do 150FSB (rock) with stock fan and it was no so stable when i was trying up to 159FSB and it never touch 160FSB.

So, I would recommend ST6, especially the Raid.

And, I found out that the cd burner runs faster if it is placed alone on a IDE channel, which means no other CD-rom nor DVD-rom sits on the same IDE. I know it's weird but it does happen. I just can't explain why it cames this way but I'm just telling my experience.

Well of course it runs better... It's an old rule not to share the burner with anything else :).

BTW has anyone tried putting more than 512 ram into the ST6? My old BH6 only supports up to 384 MB of RAM, but I've put 512 in it and it runs fine...

I would try, but someone said that it's not going to recognize the extra RAM. I'm going to try it later with 2 sticks of 512MB and see what will happen. I will update you after I try it.

Just so you know the why behind your experiment.

Your motherboard only recognizes the 512mb of ram because there are only 512mb worth of bus lines running form the cpu to the ram slots for the cpu to use. Thus the cpu can only allocate as much ram as it has bus lines to support.

im considering these boards as well.
i have 768mb of ram and i set up ramdrives on occosian. but if hard drives run better on the ST6 i might get that instead if it allows things to run faster and me to overclock higher.
its a hard decision, lol. i wanna keep my ram but i think i may just have to part with one stick of it

Back