• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware Warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duper

Registered
I don't know if any of you have or own a Alienware PC or Laptop but I was giving a Alienware laptop a long time ago as a gift. Not the worst gift in the whole world. Anyways to make a long story short they have warranty on there computers as most company's should but that was not the problem the problem was my drivers disk some how got cracked right in half.

When I called they said my computer was no longer under warranty and that they could not help me in anyway. In other words I had to buy a new laptop from them. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told the same thing again. I said that I would be more then willing to buy the drivers disk and that got me nowhere. Needless to say I will never take a Alienware computer even as a gift unless it was to smash the crap out of it and mail it back to Alienware with a note enclosed "CD WONT EJECT"

Ok waitaminute..

I am going to break your post down here for clarities sake.

A long time ago, you were given a laptop as a gift, I am assuming that the laptop was new then.

*how long is a long time ago???*

You cracked the driver cd in half at some point, and ended up needing it.

You called Alienware to try to get a replacement cd, and they told you no.

You are saying that they told you you had to buy a new laptop, and that is it??

*I can fully see them saying that they do not support the laptop you own anymore, I can even see them saying that they can not provide you with a cd, I cant see them telling you to buy a new laptop and nothing else*

Because the laptop you have is out of warranty and no longer supported by alienware tech support (did you try google for the laptop drivers?), you are saying you will NEVER take an Alienware item again except to smash it and mail it back to them (which you realize does nothing to affect them as you have already paid them money).

...You do realize drivers are readily available on the net?

They had a place on their site where I could download them but when I attempted to log on it said that it was no longer valid. I called and they gave me the run around and I was still unable to download them.

Lol, wow, you can just download drivers from any random website, including the alienware website.

at the time the Alienware website was the only place and I was unable to get them from the website.

Ok waitaminute..

I am going to break your post down here for clarities sake.

A long time ago, you were given a laptop as a gift, I am assuming that the laptop was new then.

*how long is a long time ago???*

You cracked the driver cd in half at some point, and ended up needing it.

You called Alienware to try to get a replacement cd, and they told you no.

You are saying that they told you you had to buy a new laptop, and that is it??

*I can fully see them saying that they do not support the laptop you own anymore, I can even see them saying that they can not provide you with a cd, I cant see them telling you to buy a new laptop and nothing else*

Because the laptop you have is out of warranty and no longer supported by alienware tech support (did you try google for the laptop drivers?), you are saying you will NEVER take an Alienware item again except to smash it and mail it back to them (which you realize does nothing to affect them as you have already paid them money).

A: 2 years ago almost 3 which I don't see why that would matter
A: Well when they say that my computer is no longer under warranty and that they can not help me thats how I took it.
A: I would have been willing to purchase the replacement CD but they refused.

They would not help me with my log on so I could get on the website and download all the drivers I needed and they wouldn't even mail a copy. They could have charged me 300 bucks and I would have paid it to have it working again. It's long and over now just flipping threw a mag and saw an ad for one and just thought I would share my bad experience.

And why werent you able to get them from the site?

it required a log on to access that part of the website for the drivers I needed at the time and my log on was no longer valid. I no longer have it in my possession

Last edited:
Why didnt you try any other sites? There are plenty of them availible.

At the time no sites had the drivers for the specific Laptop that I had other then the Alienware website. I know how to use google.

I feel like you are all giving me the third degree. Did I say something wrong? Are they like a supporter of OCForums or advertise here? I don't understand the taboo with Alienware, like they are incapable of not helping a customer?

I agree its lame they wouldn't help you more but it should have been possible to find the drivers you needed without too much trouble.

ok, so you're just wanting a CD that has the drivers for your laptop? i'm just trying to figure out where you're coming from.

We're not bashing you here, we're simply saying the best course is to not whine at Alienware (which I would personally never buy from) but try and find some drivers.

but you don't need the specific drivers for your laptop, just find the drivers for each component, IE: if you have an Nvidia GPU just go to the nvidia website.

I just thought I would share my bad experience thats all. I worked for Qualxserv and my brother still does up north for Banktech (Dell On Site Techs)

You should be able to find drivers for most of your components at various websites like nvidia.com for example. Is there a specific Alienware program that you need?

Btw, duper, how old are you? Just curious...

I'll be 27 on the 17th, how old are you, just curious....

I don't need the drivers anymore I don't have it anymore I sold it. So the next person to tell me to google the drivers for a computer I no longer have is getting a response of "I never heard of google wuts that durrrrr"

it required a log on to access that part of the website for the drivers I needed at the time and my log on was no longer valid. I no longer have it in my possession

This sounds like you expected them to go way out of their way to help you out when all you needed was a new logon and could've rectified it yourself.

I think that the reason so many people were asking questions about exactly what was going on is that there are some people out there that just do not deal well with tech support people on the phone. Folks like that can get very upset and stop thinking rationally when the slightest hiccup happens in how they envision their call going. Then they only hear what they want to hear and can misinterpret things in all sorts of ways. I know that I have personally dealt with a customer that called my boss and told them that I had refused to help them on the phone. What actually happened was that I asked them if they could read me the error message off of the screen when they thought I should have just immediately dispatched someone to their site at no charge. It happens.

Now, based on your response you posted in the recent newegg thread where you stated
wow you handled yourself great I would have called her a moron and tell her to get me someone else
it would be easier to see how someone that may have read that post of yours could need to find out all of the details.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you are one of those people. But the combination of the Alienware saying that they wouldn't help you unless you buy a new PC which doesn't make any sense businesswise, and your previous post about a different support person being a moron, could possibly make folks want to get more details. That is all.

Believe it or not sometimes support can be Morons or Idiots. Ever work with someone or had a supervisor who was incompetent and shouldn't even be working there but some how slipped threw the cracks?

Was it within the techs power to send me a drivers disk? Yes
Was it within the techs power to help me to get my log on corrected? Yes
I understand that it may have been against company policy to do anything for me which really says a lot about the company. They lost me as a future customer. For the 3 grand they stood to gain from a sale in the future for the price 20 mins of a techs time to let me log on.

I have had problems when working for Qualxserv so I know how techs can sometimes be. I have had to threaten them more then once if they don't take care of the problem I would cancel the rest of my calls for they day and they can deal with the customers. Because someone wanted to start making up company policy on the fly. There are bad people who work for the company's and there are good people who know what they are doing and will go above and beyond to help you. I'm sure i'm not the only person here who has had a bad experience with someone called back and talked to someone else and the problem solved in seconds or had something out of warranty and said come on man is there anything you can do to help me out and had a set of recovery disks next day air for free.

With Alienware I received the same response no matter who I talked to. "Sorry Sir but your computer is no longer under warranty we can not help you" They might not have told me to go out and buy a new computer but when the one I had was broken and they were the only people with the thing I needed to fix it and refused to give me any support. To me that means my computer is a paperweight and I took it as buy a new computer. Wouldn't you? It was totally useless to me.

They didn't break the disk and not make a backup copy which was not their fault but it wouldn't have been too hard to grab a disk from the back room and charged me whatever they wanted for it or even help me with my log on so I could download them. The only way they would have let me back on the website would have been to buy a new computer to download the drivers but I didn't want to spend 3 grand on a new computer for drivers for another one.

and no google didn't turn up any of the drivers I needed at the time...

On another note I'm not to fond of some of the Dell support practices anyways since I saw them first hand. Is it really necessary to have an Escalation Team for a customer or tell another customer to stop pirating movies? That didn't come from a tech that came directly from a supervisor when I was out on a call. But no matter what Dell has had the best support I've seen. You don't want to deal with HP trust me. I have also worked for a company that serviced HP. I know I wouldn't want to box up my laptop and have it gone for 6-11 weeks to maybe not even get back my original laptop but a refurbished one. With Vista if something happens to your recovery partition and you do not make a recovery disk of your hard drive your laptop is junk.

And for those of you who may think that I was a hot tempered crazy person and I got fired from my job which is why I no longer work for them you are wrong. My wife makes more then enough money and I stay home and watch the baby. I just have a low tolerance for unprofessional people in a professional work place.

Last edited:
Back