• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody used water chillers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

someone1029

Posted this in the water cooling forums, but they said to post it here.

Hi, THIS water chiller just got pointed out to me, just wanted to know if anybody has used this water chiller or any water chiller for that matter. If so what are your thoughts. Also, if i were to go with this what, if any, condensation precautions would i need to take? If the cooling power is sufficient I might just get one instead of my planned radiator setup [120.3 + 120.2 with delta fans] and it works out to be cheaper! Just to save you reading the above link here is the product description:

This is a modified version of the Via Aqua CC25B aquarium chiller. It is modified for controlled water cooling to 0 celsius! What makes this unit so special is the temperature can be regulated as low as just above freezing.

Unlike other cpu refrigeration systems, this one allows ANY AND ALL CPU, video card, chipset, ram, HD to be cooled to extreme cold temperature for maximum overclocking potential. To complete the system you will need:

Waterblock(s) for devices to be cooled
Pump
Reservoir - for bleeding air
1/2" tubing to connect it all

We recommend a small amount of antifreeze or alcohol be added to the coolant. Remember to use condensation prevention measures on the chips being cooled!

Please allow up to 5 extra working days to prep the unit for the modification.

Last edited:
I have a 12TEC Boreas setup and also a Freezone Elite. They are both on QX9650s and i get really good temps @4GHZ. With the Boreas 14c-16c-14c-12c with the Elite 18c-20c-22c-19c so thats pretty good. I own a shop and also work as a tester/ reviewer. Thats how i got both chillers, by testing them and reviewing them. My sig should show the rest on my setups

Sounds nice, do you have any idea what sort of temps the water is at? Also I had a look at the Xtreme systems forums and they are using sub zero liquid cooling! They couldn't possibly be using water right?

Edit: Scrap that, just had a look at the coolit systems website. Aparently the coolant only goes to 25c on idle! Totaly not worth it, considering the chiller above will go below 0c

Last edited:
That would be nice, would you care to elaborate on that? Self build isn't an option for me as I have no experience in refrigeration or any of the skills required, and the only person I know that does won't do it for me.

Decided phase change probably isn't for me, unless it can cool my graphics card but I have only ever seen CPU phase systems. Also from what I can tell they aren't upgradeable in the way liquid systems are, that is that you can't just buy some more tubing and a water block and you're away. So unless someone can find/build me a phase system that I can easily add on another [don't know what you call 'em but the thing that makes contact with the processor] so if I do end up going SLI I can cool the second graphics card.

Other than that sub zero alcohol cooling looks like the go for me. Failing that there is always chilled water cooling which was my first idea. I don't want to spend much more than $1000AUD for the entire system including NB/SB, Mosfets and ram as well as the usual GPU/CPU. I don't think there is any point doing any more than air for the chipsets/RAM/Mosfets [well possibly but i doubt it]

Edit: If i go with chilled water i will probably use TEC's to achieve sub zero.

Last edited:
After contacting aquastealth (people that modify the aquarium chiller) I have come to the conclusion that water chilling just isn't going to give me the results I need. Their chiller only cools a 200w heatload to 0c, and the 1/3 hp won't do much better. To get the results I need with water I am going to have to get someone to build me a chiller, and if that is the case I may as well get them to build me a phase system for about the same price.

So can anyone direct me to some people that I could talk to about some phase based options? Bonus points if they are in Australia! (Even more bonus points if they can fit it into the bottom compartment of a TJ07, but I doubt that is going to happen)

After contacting aquastealth (people that modify the aquarium chiller) I have come to the conclusion that water chilling just isn't going to give me the results I need. Their chiller only cools a 200w heatload to 0c, and the 1/3 hp won't do much better. To get the results I need with water I am going to have to get someone to build me a chiller, and if that is the case I may as well get them to build me a phase system for about the same price.

So can anyone direct me to some people that I could talk to about some phase based options? Bonus points if they are in Australia! (Even more bonus points if they can fit it into the bottom compartment of a TJ07, but I doubt that is going to happen)

Not to volunteer anyone, but I believe "NoL" is one of our resident phase experts. He also builds custom systems if I am correct. Send him a PM and find out.

Can you forward me the details of that once you have it complete? I too have a TJ-07 and would be mildly interested. I don't have the money any time soon, but I can see happening in a few months.

Thanks.

Back