• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions about TEC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Alright, I am interested in using a TEC and I was wondering how much a whole TEC setup will cost
Is it just like 20 bucks or is that just for the plate
What all would I need for one

It all depends on if you already have water cooling (or air cooling but that isn't recomended).

If so you will just need the TEC, and power supply (unless you have a spare lying around). TEC's are realy cheap, and the aux psu will cost about $100.

If you don't already have water cooling then you will need to build a system. How much it will cost depends on how many watts the TEC is rated for (higher = better cooling)

I hope this helps, I am looking into getting a TEC setup as well, hope I didn't leave anything out. Also have you read the sticky on TEC's? If you haven't its a good read.

The highest end pelt set up would run in the high 400's for a waterblock to handle a 430ish pelt, a 600watt meanwell powersupply, insulation, and the pelt itself. But imho if you don't have the water gear to handle it already, you'd be better off and cheaper off to get a custom phase change setup. Course that pelt setup I listed there handles an intel quad at subzero temps. For an low end pelt setup if you already have water gear and a 1kw psu would only run around 120ish

I amsng for an inexpensive way to cool off my 9550 as much as possible, but keep the cost down, and suggestions. I don't care about getting to like -100 degrees C I just want to cool my CPU off a little more, I would be happy with a 10 degree drop, how much would that be for a quad core

Read the sticky on TEC's. There is some math involved on getting just the right power levels and cooling. You can make your cooling WAY worse if you don't do it right.

what are you currently cooling with, you never stated that. Also knowing what your cooling (overclock wise) and what temps you are currently running at idle and load with your current setup.

So what ever the watt is of your CPU you have to have a Tec that is twice the size or more? and over 100w is the limit for air cooling with the tec? And the extra PSU has to be what if your CPU is 89w tec250 w?

depends on how extreme you want to go sony, if you check over in prime81's thread he's using a new type of air cooler that has a 50watt pelt in it stock, but he's uped the pelt to around 168ish with the stock controller and his normal psu so that would be an option, another option is coolitsystems freezone systems, which I have heard have high pump failures, but it is possible that they have fixed it, I've never used it myself so I'm not gonna say anything bad about their products I'm just stating what I've heard. Their systems are a self contained water cooling system with a pelt cooler, and from the reviews I've read do a pretty good job at what they do.

If you are only looking for a small drop in temps I would just get some good air cooling (that is if you are running stock at the moment), if you already have good air I would get some water cooling, if you already have water just chuck in a TEC.

It would really help if you told us what you are currently using, and how much you want to spend on the new setup.

Back