PDA

View Full Version : Does epoxy give off fumes after it's cured?

eobard
04-13-08, 03:32 AM
I'm looking to repair a joint on a respirator and was wondering if anyone has enough experience with epoxy to know if it's safe to use. The repair would be done on a CPAP respirator device less than 2 inches from where the air flowing through the respirator would be inhaled. I know how horrible the stuff smells when mixing the 2 parts, but would it be safe in that circumstance once it has solidified?

FireMogle
04-13-08, 03:46 AM
I would check the package details, but I think after it cures its good to go.

Malpine Walis
04-13-08, 09:22 AM
Get te MSDS sheets on both chemicals.

LutaWicasa
04-13-08, 09:34 AM
Should be safe after it's cured...not just "solidified".
Curing times can range from hours/days to even months.
As MW suggests...check the MSDS.

speed bump
04-13-08, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't fix a respirator and if I remember correctly MHSA and OSHA wont let you use a repaired respirator.

As far as fumes it depends on the epoxy, I know JB-weld doesn't but some other cheaper ones do.

FudgeNuggets
04-14-08, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't fix a respirator and if I remember correctly MHSA and OSHA wont let you use a repaired respirator.

As far as fumes it depends on the epoxy, I know JB-weld doesn't but some other cheaper ones do.

I don't know about that.... I used JB weld to fix a cracked radio surround/enclosure on an old Jeep that I used to have for 4-wheeling and I could still smell the stuff when I sold it to my cousin 2 years later, especially on hot days....

Quailane
04-14-08, 12:44 PM
I don't know about that.... I used JB weld to fix a cracked radio surround/enclosure on an old Jeep that I used to have for 4-wheeling and I could still smell the stuff when I sold it to my cousin 2 years later, especially on hot days....
Maybe you didn't mix it properly, leading some of it not to cure. That has happened to me. I use the stuff all the time and I don't ever recall any fumes coming from it when it was cured.

FudgeNuggets
04-14-08, 01:25 PM
Maybe you didn't mix it properly, leading some of it not to cure. That has happened to me. I use the stuff all the time and I don't ever recall any fumes coming from it when it was cured.

It's possible but it was the JB that had both tubes that went into one nozzle with the single plunger on the end.

Ebola
04-14-08, 03:07 PM
I believe it is quite safe after it has solidified.

eobard
04-14-08, 04:55 PM
Fumes are an obvious tell, but I was wondering about "sub-concious fumes", the kind of stuff that your nose can't detect but will still give you brain damage. I know it's not a good thing to jump in with assumptions when brain damage is a possible side effect. I was just hoping one of our members might be able to step forward with either a "I've been in the industry for 20+ years and know for a fact that there are some forms of epoxy that are safe, look for brand XYZ." or "I've been in the industry for 20+ years and can tell you that while some companies say their product is safe for that situation I know they're full of **** and here's why." statement. As for the stuff I've got on hand, the packaging is of no help, and when I went to the manufacturer's website and looked into their adhesives section I was greeted with this "WEBSITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION". Oh happy day! :rolleyes: So unless someone on these boards is an expert in the field I won't be taking any chances.

masakabassist
04-14-08, 05:12 PM
Couldn't you phone customer service and ask them to send out the ingredients sheet or somewhat like that.

JamesXP
04-14-08, 05:14 PM
http://jbweld.net/techinfo/index.php

MSDS' for JBWELD Products.