• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Soyo TISU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rooski

Registered
I'm using a Soyo TISU. Seems this board allows you to use 100 or 133 memory bus speed, even if you use a FSB above 133. Problem for me is, I'm currently using a 140 FSB, and I can't seem to overide the feature of running the memory bus at 133. I have the memory speed selected to "auto", and the board seems to boot at 133 memory bus (at least that's what the POST screen reports). I want my memory bus to run the same as my FSB. I would think the board has the option to run the memory speed higher, but I sure can't figure it out. I'm using the latest bios revision.

Also, The board is unstable if I use 2 sticks of Crucial cl2 pc133, even at a 133 fsb. I've tried every dimm slot combination. The board works well with only 1 stick plugged in.

BTW, I'm using it with a p3 733, so a stable 133 bus should be no problem.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with your TISU, and memory/FSB speed?

The post screen is lying to you.

If you go into sandra or another program that will tell you, you
will see the memory is running at the fsb speed.

If you were to pick the 100mhz memory speed, then
overclock your processor, it will be running at 100+

Not sure why your memory is unstable. I can
run 2 sticks of 256mb ram in this up to 148 or so
before I have to jank one or turn it down to cas3.

Are the 2 sticks the same ? maybe 1 is bad....

Thanks for the reply!

My sticks are both Crucial pc133 CL2 (one 256 and the other 128). They are stable in my other systems.

I think I just got a bunk board, and I'm gonna return it.

Today, I bought an Abit ST6 raid board. Found it at one of my local OEM shops for only $80.00 :) They said the ST6's are discontinued, and they sold their last one for cheap.

I yanked the Soyo, and installed the Abit. It works great! Now I'm all set to snatch up one of the new Tualatin/Celery chips. haven't decided on which one yet. Either 1.0a or 1.1a. Still gotta see what my max stable FSB is on this board/ram combo. So far, 140 at 2-2-2, and 145 at 3-2-2 works stable. Gotta do a lot more testing. I'm also curious to see what others will get out of the new chips before forking out the dough.

I must have got lucky with mine....

Since the 2 ram chips arent the same, those fsb's arent
too bad.

You could probably get higher with a matched pair, or if
you janked the 128

Well, with just the single 256 plugged in, it was stable only up to 133 bus. Much above that, it went to hell. I also tried 3 dimms at same time (crucial 133 CL2- two 128's and one 256) and it would not post at all!

I have been using the Soyo-TISU for several months and
I am well satisfied with it's overclocking features.

The only problem I have is with restarting after shutdown.
For example, I have a Tualatin 1.0 that runs fine at 146FSB, and can restart and make changes in the BIOS and everything works fine. But when I shutdown and restart, it goes into the BIOS and I have to make changes to get it get past the BIOS and then I can restart and make any changes with no problems.

The BIOS will not hold the settings after shutdown.
I put in a new battery, and reflashed the bios a number of times.
I sent an email to Soyo tech support and after the second email I got a reply. They said to check the grounding of the board and if that didn't help, to request an RMA.

I am wondering if this is a common problem, or I should I go ahead and RMA.

Check out the other TISU thread in this forum before you RMA. I'm going to try the BSEL1 trick tomorrow and will post the result.

old silicon said:
Check out the other TISU thread in this forum before you RMA. I'm going to try the BSEL1 trick tomorrow and will post the result.

Too late - I already RMA'd it back to Soyo.
Except for my problem with BIOS, for $65, this is a great board for overclocking , and I felt surely was bad board.
So I ordered another one - big mistake - IT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!

Since there are 2 threads on this board, I'l going to post on the other thread.

Insulate the BSEL1 pin. I had the same Bios issue and painting the pin with nail polish worked great. Board now thinks it has a 133fsb Celeron. Bios now keeps all my settings intact after a shutdown. FSB,vcore,memory timings,etc. perfect. Just make sure your chip will run at least 133fsb before you do the mod. Mine will run 133FSB @ defualt voltage,137FSB @ 1.49v and up to 142FSB @ 1.6v. I just leave it at 137*11=1507 mhz, rock stable and never above 43 deg C with the retail HSF.

Good luck

I did remove the BSEL 1 ( aj31) pin from the cpu, and now it does retain all the settings.

I had been able to run [email protected] stable.
Now I'm able to run 11x139 stable, and it cold boots fine.
Sure is nice to not have to keep resetting everything.

On the Soyo tech support site, there are several FAQs items about not retaining BIOS settings, and all their recommended actions don't fix these problems.
I sent an email to soyo tech support about this, and asked if they could fix this with a BIOS revision.
Haven't received a reply, but if enough people contacted them about this problem, maybe they would fix it.

It seems to me that by this subject being in their FAQs that some have already contacted them, but their posted fixes obviously don't work.

I also contacted Soyo tech support to report the problem to no avail. I tried a new battery, cleared CMOS, flashed newest BIOS,etc. They gave me a RMA # but insulating BSEL1 fixed the problem. I think they know of the issue but don't really give a hoot about spending time and resources fixing the glitch. Why would they? Old socket 370 platform, low $ board, etc. Oh well, easy enough to work around I quess.
If the 512k cache PIII ever drops to a resonable price I'll drop one in. I'd like to see some benchies with a 1.4gig chip @ 150FSB. Too bad they never developed a chipset with DDR support for the PIII. I bet it would make the P4 look foolish, even at 1.5gig this celeron gets better scores on Sandra CPU arithmetic and multimedia tests than a 2gig P4. Just the limited memory bandwidth of SDRAM compared to DDR that holds her back.

Glad it worked out for you too.

Last edited:
I have removed the BSEL1 pin on two Tualatin 1.1G's in order to get the BIOS to retain the settings, and it does work.

However, it looks like in both cases the overclocking FSB seemed to be reduced.
In both cases, before doing the mod, I could run sandra high stress burn-in indefinitely. After the removing the BSEL1 pin it froze at the same FSB and voltage settings.

This is only a sample of 2, and the differences were small, but I wonder if anyone else has seen this result?

My 1.1a tops out at 142fsb before and after insulating the pin. The only thing it did was fix the bios bug of resetting to defaults on a cold boot when clocking it at 133 and above. This really isn't a bad board for $65 including shipping.

Back