• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ST6 Raid board needs some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sempei

I have 2 PCI NIC cards that both work in my old BH6 motherboard.
If I install either one in any slot of my ST6-Raid it will not boot. Get the police siren warning. Pull the NIC and it boots fine. Both NICs use the DEC 21140-AE chip. Any thoughts peeps?

I have not had problems with any of my NIC cards in my ST6. I have two of them! Maybe in the bios disable the in board modem????

I shootin' in the dark here for ya though, sorry! I know there is actually no on board modem but the bios for some weird reason allows one!

Already disabled on board modem as well as set init first display to AGP. I've sent an e-mail to Abit but have doubts whether I'll hear from them.

nuciles said:
Try to plug in the NICs on different slot and see what will happen.
Yeah, tried both NICs in all the slots but still no go. I'm thinking it may be either an ACPI issue or the NIC uses the same address as the hardware monitoring. According to the manual:
(1) the addon card must be ACPI compatible and
(2) can't use the same address as the hardware monitoring. Unfortunately, I can't change the adress on the NIC so I can't test #2 and have no idea how to check #1. Any more ideas peeps?

nuciles said:
YES!

Just use one NIC and buy yourself a hub or switch, since they are damn cheap now.
No you don't understand. I tried each NIC one at a time in each slot and the computer won't boot with just one NIC card in.

ol' man said:
Well then they may not be ACPI compatible.
That's what I am thinking at this point. I will borrow an ACPI compliant card tonight to test.

Bingo, it was the NIC. Put in a 3Com and it fired right up.:D

Back