• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stick with my current GPU or upgrade, help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GuItArMaN8373

Registered
So, I currently have a very nice (and big) BFG 8800 GTX OC2 (768 mb). I love it, but in some games it just doesn't seem to cut it with the frame rate, and lag can be annoying at times as well. My big question though is, would it be worth it to upgrade to the new 9800 GX2? If so, which one would be best out of the EVGA and BFG version? The EVGA is a bit faster and more expensive then the BFG one, from what I saw on newegg, or is there and even better version? Reviews were good for both as well.
Is the 9800 better and faster than the 8800 chipset, or is it just mainly for HD stuff? Would you think the price could drop in a few months or so, at least significantly enough for me to make up my mind and wait to purchase one?

Thanks,

Chris

Wait for the 9900 GTX due in July.

No sense dumping $500+ dollars on a card that will be obsolete in a few months. The new 9900s are to have a new GT200 core and should theoretically outperform anything on the market by a fair margin.

Ohhh sweet, haha can't wait. Alright thanks. Will they hopefully be no more than $600? Maybe the 9800 will go down in price to once they're released.

Ohhh sweet, haha can't wait. Alright thanks. Will they hopefully be no more than $600? Maybe the 9800 will go down in price to once they're released.

Initially they probably will be, but I wouldn't waste the money on a 9800 if you have an 8800gtx already. From what I understand the 9800gtx is barely 10-15% better, whereas the 9900 is probably going to be upwards of 30% or so. But we won't really know till it actually comes out or we see some unbiased benchmarks.

Alright guys, thanks for all the help and advice. I'll just wait, plus I'll have saved up a good amount of money by then as well.

You can get an EVGA 9800GX2 for $520 after rebate now. Sell your GTX for about $250 and you've got yourself the best card on the planet for about $270 :p

Don't worry about factory clocks when shopping video cards, as long as you buy from a company that will not void your warranty for OCing, you are fine.

July is a long time to wait :p

Back