• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Stick? whad'ya think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I setup this computer for a freind, and every time we try to run a program, it seems to lock up the prog (I'm using 98se) the whole computer doesn't lock...just the program. And it could be a game, or just some imaging software..it starts to load, and gets halfway done loading and locks up.
There is one stick of Ibm mem 128mb, and a 128 stick of PNY.
I suspect the IBM mem being faulty.
I tried to play quake3 on it, and it didn't get past the quake splash screen b4 locking, and I tried to run the scanner software, and it froze....but I could still move the mouse, and ctrl-alt-del and see the prog "not responding" and end task dialogue box.
Cas 2 or cas3 makes no difference.
Also it will surf the net, and do e-mail..just not any mem intensive program, and Dr Watson doesn't even know there is a problem
I figured I'd ask here b4 stripping a known good stick out of my box.....soooo whad'ya think?

system= generic at case w300 watt
soyo sy6bb slot one at formfactor
P3 450 (katmai) with gorb (not o'c'ed)
128mb IBM PC133,128mb PNY PC133
Avance logic sound card
Maxtor 30gig 7200 ata100
Guillemot Maxigamer tnt2 ultra 32mb
Zoom modem

With that board I would check all the irq's for sharing first, then pull the sound card.
You can try a software mem tester like x86 or docmem.
They run in dos mode so you can eliminate a lot of possibilities.
Or just pull out one stick of memory try it then try the other.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply..I just didn't want to pull the stick out....I hate opening a case except to clean out the dust...especialy those old AT style cases with the one peice cover.
Thanks again....I didn't even think about the irq's (duh)
Thanks again Placid, I hope your new year will be a prosprous one:cool:

Try upgrading the drivers for the vid card & mobo.

Also-using Sandra for mem benchmarks is good....& cpu stabilty test for that old P3 would be good also.

:)

Back