• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions on A/C chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfather1138

I have recently moved and am not able to use my window unit in my new place. It is only a year old as I bought it last summer so I hate to just give it away (to sister) or sell it for next to nothing.

It is a Goldstar GWHD5000 5000BTU unit. Would this be a good one to base a chiller on? I would love to get into the extreme side of this hobby, and if this unit would work then I will probably get to work on it in July.

Thanks for any info you can offer up.

Yes, can become a great liquid chiller. Do you have HVAC tools? If not it can become a rather ghetto chiller, but a chiller all the same.

i would rip the unit apart and make a reservoir around the evaporator and pump the chilled water to a water block. make sure to use alot of silicone to make sure you have no leaks though.

The only warning I'd have to make is that, no matter how tough you think your ears are, they probably won't be able to stand a rotary for more than a few hours at a time. Good as benching units, not so good for 24/7.

they probably won't be able to stand a rotary for more than a few hours at a time.

So this thing will run louder than it did as an actual A/C? Also, I was under the impression that I could use this to build a phase change of some sort not just a water chiller.

On this note, I havent made a chiller yet, but how well would a 10K btu unit work on a q6600 and 2 8800 GTS 512's, and do I need to build my own evap, or would using the current one work fine?

If you have no phase tools, and your increadibly careful, you can do it. A 10k will be more then enough for good subzero fun :)
And it will still be noise of a window ac, maybe a bit less ;)

Yeah, i guess I should have worded it differently. I want to try and make a phase unit out of this, not a water chiller.

The tools are not a problem...my dad is a tv repair man. j/k ;)

But yeah, this is something I would like to take seriously so I will be looking into what all is needed.

Ok, thanks. I was gonna go phase, but I dont feel like building a 3 evap system on my first go.

It's going to cost you 5x a custom build to make one with proper tools that will last more then a few weeks or months. As for triple evap, not worth it, balancing evaps isn't easy.

So you are saying you could build me one for cheaper than it would cost me to build one out of the parts I have here?

PS, I've seen your work on here so I'm not questioning your experience. You seem to know your stuff.

Heh, do a tally ;)
You'll see proper equipment hits 5k+ very very quickly, and thats often without refrigerants.
Yes I could easily do one for cheaper though.

Well then I may just have you build one when i get ready. Maybe ship out some of the usable parts from this thing for you to use if it would help costs.

Back