• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC unit gone water chiller question(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

Ok I have a almost new AC unit that i want to make a water chiller. I have a few questions.

I think the way I want to set it up is so I could set it out side my window just like a normal AC unit. The hole goal of this is so i could keep it nice and quite. but nice and cold so I can have HIGH clocks for folding baby!

1. can water chillers be run 24/7 just like a window ac unit?
2. could a good water chiller cool a q6600 e2180/e7200 8800gt(g92) X2 with out a problem or would that just be to much heat?
3. how long do you think this AC unit would last?
4. has anyone done this the window thing?

I havent built one yet, although im working on one now. From what I know...
!. Yup
2. It depends on the btu of the unit, but you should be fine
3. Too much variability here, depends more on the brand than using it for chilling vs AC
4. Ive seen one with the ducting going to the window, but not a unit sitting in the window. Always a first for everything.

You could easily run the tubes from the unit outside to the comp inside... sounds like a great idea.

Can we have pics when you do it :D. im lookinh into doing this too. what BTU is your unit. Im looking at stuff between 5K and 9K.

Most compressors need that cool supply of return gas to keep the motor inside the metal can cool. You will see two tubes running to the compressor. The smaller one will get hot for dumping heat. The other should be cool enough to sweat if running outside. Moisture on the larger return tube indicates the compressor is getting that needed cool refrigerant. This is the only way to run it 24-7. It's still no guarantee that it will last but a hot compressor will more than likely die running full cycle. The unit is designed to run in the 40-50deg range cooling 60-80 deg water. What may work is to run two water loops. Set up a PC normal water cooled system. Next Buy a foot of copper tube and build a coil by rolling it around a 1/2 inch wooden dowel. Hook this coil to a glycol/water loop running to the water cooler. Place the new homemade copper coil in the PC's reservoir. This creates a heat exchanger to lower the PC's cooling loop at least 20 degs but the main heat is taken out by the normal radiator sparing the water cooler that excess heat.

Sadly in that setup your radiator would be adding heat ;)
However your idea is sort of on par, most AC units though will run into the 90C compressor temperatures when used in the Summer, and are meant to, in our application rotarys are almost never killed.

Sadly in that setup your radiator would be adding heat ;)
However your idea is sort of on par, most AC units though will run into the 90C compressor temperatures when used in the Summer, and are meant to, in our application rotarys are almost never killed.
Even if the intake water is 15C, I doubt the water from the CPU will be below 25C which is room temp. I expect to see 30 to 40C coming from the CPU to the rad which will result in some heat output. Use a thermally controlled fan that will shut down if cool. That water cooler is effective for about 50-75 watts of heat removal, the CPU is dissing 90-140W.

Edit; Brainfart, I read it again then realized he is talking about a window shaker not water cooler like those little Culligan dealies. I would still consider my setup but have the AC unit chill a 5 gallon tank running the PC loop through the 3-5 gallon water bottle instead. Now how will you get the evap to cool the water. With 5 gals of water the unit should cycle almost on a regular cycle.

Last edited:
On a single pass little heat is lost or gained, 20C water into CPU block, leaves around 22C ;)

well I might build it to just bench with. I talked with the owner/room mate of the house and he does not want to have a AC unit hanging out the window. does not want the house to look like crap or draw any more of a eye being that we have 2 big land cruisers 2 4runners a jetta and chevy car. 4 people lots of cars. neighbors are cool here and we are pretty much red neck living in the city but dont want to look like white trash if u see what im saying.
So maybe this weekend I will build it and buy a q6600 to replace the e2180 and pull some benches with it.

I have also been looking into changing it into a phase unit. I been doing some reading and know its a pain in the *** and lots of money but i know people and live a few blocks away from CSU where both my brothers go so maybe i get lucky!

and AC u coonass mane its good to hear from u buddy! thanks for the input.

One of these days we need to compare a coonass AirConditioner to a redneck one :D

I'm looking at ideas to cool a rig as this one is pushing 58C. "Hotter than an bottle of hotsauce".

PLEASE NOTE THE CANS OF CHEW. COPENHAGEN AND SKOAL THAT WILL BE ENJOYED VERY MUCH WHILE WORKING ON THIS. REDNECK UP!

ac009.jpg

6500BTU should get her done i think. Now that I have a few bucks to spend a GTX, a q6600 and P35 for hardcore over clocking for pure hard core water chilled folding to try to take over AC.

PLEASE NOTE THE CANS OF CHEW. COPENHAGEN AND SKOAL THAT WILL BE ENJOYED VERY MUCH WHILE WORKING ON THIS. REDNECK UP!

ac009.jpg

6500BTU should get her done i think. Now that I have a few bucks to spend a GTX, a q6600 and P35 for hardcore over clocking for pure hard core water chilled folding to try to take over AC.
Bring It :D Until I can come up with a cooling solution you might just have an easier shot at me. Here the drought has set in and temps are already high enough for thongs and flip flops.

Bring It :D Until I can come up with a cooling solution you might just have an easier shot at me. Here the drought has set in and temps are already high enough for thongs and flip flops.

oooh I bet u look cute in a thong! :drool: PM a pic plz :p.

I bought all the crap to do it so its going together tonite. I make a new thread and show u all.

i still need to know what to insulate on the cooling unit its self and also the mobo. its going to be the DS3L that will be used with a E2180. Im gonna clock the crap out of it and have it folding 24/7!

ya i have gone through a few cans of chew working on this.

F-ing new AC units with gay relays and crap make it real hard to get around. got it set up on a light switch now. I'm looking into adjusting the compressor to get her as cold as can be. had some nice frostys so far but not cold enough.

at this time its looking pretty white trash gots to upgrade her to red neck before i make a thread on how to build one.

So Brolloks u classifieds ***** and AC u coonass dont worry shes coming. Got the water block in now too and it might get done this weekend.

Hank, stop chewing that smelly stuff and get yer *** in gear, I want to see sub zero on that hot quad of yours by the end of tomorrow ;)

Back